Best Lamping Dog

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aye True. They will all pick up point and slip.   But sometimes we need that bit more? Thinking outside the box. Come at the rabbit from an angle, keep them off the hedge etc. Only so much can be l

yeh but you can get caught up in the intelligence thing, I have in the past with choosing lurchers. all lurchers don't matter what they x with , will learn lamping if took out enough its practic

My blue bitch is handy lamping bitch on rabbits when out she doesn't miss a lot thank god because around here we got take our chances !! She's colliebullgrey x deergreyxcolliegrey she was a early star

As your topic appears to be in the wrong section, (a non hunting post), we have moved it to the appropriate forum.<br /><br />Read the forum rules, top of the section.<br /><br />This is an automatically generated reply.

I'm wanting to here what dog you think is the best for rabbits on the lamp

Rabbits do not take a lot of catching, a second and third rate mutt often makes a decent lamping jukel on bunny,s.The difference betwixt first,second and third rate,is the kennel the mutt is housed in.Id still go with a collie cur combo,with a smidgeon of whippety for initial pace and tonnes of brains,a splatter of saluki for the lad that stays out longest and a little bull for the lads with the egos,seriously the breeding is irrelevant if its irrelevant to whats needed,source a dog from dogs that do,its easier after that,sometimes.

• Like 1

Physically my young bitch is everything I need and want. She is very fast off the mark, has top end speed and stamina to match, she can turn and is very agile.

Mentally she still has a long way to go. But I'm blaming the deerhound blood.

She is deer/grey/collie/grey x deer/whip/grey.

Wouldn't have another deerhound cross if I'm honest. Slow to mature is an understatement. But I'm still confident she will make a half handy bitch once she settles down. She's is 24" and 40lb which for me is perfect...

011BE4B9-08F5-40CC-8A50-6F701E05FA36_zps

• Like 1

I used to have a tiny beddy x whippet that was great on the lamp in the smaller fields and short runs and I had a lurcher x lurcher 24-25 inch that was also great on lamp but more suited to the longer runs and bigger fields. They all have there uses and areas of expertise. I would be more than happy to have either laying on the carpet in front of me now