Shotgun For Rabbits.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm guessing like me your at work and bored shitless lol

Well I wasn't trying to sway you from your initial intention as its more than a good idea and is a great way of hunting multiple species, there is no one tool for all just a tool that is more suited a

Credit to the pair of you for having the persistence to argue over something so f***ing trivial.   Shame on me for continuing to read this saga!

Mate, if you've got permission for rabbiting, use it to get a 22 rimmy. At least you can eat em afterwards. Nice head shot three quarter grown rabbit. Difficult to beat and no denture danger ;)

To be fair that is a valid comment, I had thought about that as well.

Whilst the shotgun certainly has a place for rabbits, I have to admit I reach for one of my rimfires FAR more often when after them.

:thumbs:

Awesome only reason it will be an over under is because thats all I will have to start with. :) thansk for all the help

Most people use an O&U so don't worry about it. Not quite sure why people are trying to put you off them.

A S by S is a good traditional game gun but apart from a few people on pheasant shoots you're unlikely to find people using them. I'd say more than 95% of rough shooters are using O&U.

In fact a little known fact is that multiple world clay champion George Digweed does quite a bit of pigeon, crow etc shooting, with an O&U.....

One of those rare videos:

..and shotguns were designed for rabbits and birds.

There's no doubt that rimfire is cleaner but a shotgun is ideal for rabbits as you'll never hit a bolting rabbit with a rimfire! You need them sitting still / near still. That why most farmers have shotguns.

Awesome only reason it will be an over under is because thats all I will have to start with. :) thansk for all the help

Most people use an O&U so don't worry about it. Not quite sure why people are trying to put you off them.

A S by S is a good traditional game gun but apart from a few people on pheasant shoots you're unlikely to find people using them. I'd say more than 95% of rough shooters are using O&U.

In fact a little known fact is that multiple world clay champion George Digweed does quite a bit of pigeon, crow etc shooting, with an O&U.....

One of those rare videos:

..and shotguns were designed for rabbits and birds.

There's no doubt that rimfire is cleaner but a shotgun is ideal for rabbits as you'll never hit a bolting rabbit with a rimfire! You need them sitting still / near still. That why most farmers have shotguns.

You are off again Alsone........

and shotguns were designed for rabbits and birds. :hmm:

Were they? You mean like the horse was designed for moving people, then we found other ways, but some still use a horse!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:What makes a shotgun ideal for rabbits, :hmm: (when you consider the large majority are shot with air rifles and rimfires), who can't hit a bolting rabbit with a rimfire and that's why most farmers have a shotgun hey, come on Alsone!!??

A shotgun most certainly has a place for rabbits, but there are other tools which will be more suitable in many situations, some not even related to shooting.

Edited by Deker

Nothing wrong with that, many people start rabbits with a Clay O/U shotgun for that reason, for many that is fine and always will be. :thumbs:

If you walk a rabbit up and it bolts, are you really telling me you can hit it with a rimfire Deker? C'mon. Most people struggle with a shotgun to hit a bolting rabbit dodging and weaving at speeds up to 30-35 mph, never mind a rifle. With a shotgun, more get missed than shot.

It's horses for courses. You can't use a rimfire against a bird unless it's grounded and for bolting rabbits a shotgun is definitely the tool to have. For sniping rabbits or grounded birds in flocks, when feeding, then yep rimfire or air rifle is a much better / stealthier tool and definitely a better choice if it's in your armoury. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Well I wasn't trying to sway you from your initial intention as its more than a good idea and is a great way of hunting multiple species, there is no one tool for all just a tool that is more suited and I believe that the rimmies were mentioned merely as a suggestion...it certainly was meant that way from me :)

Edited by celticrusader
  • Like 3

Shotguns fine , 12 bore great for all your shooting , personally I use either a o/u or mostly my semi-auto , with regard to cartridge for all my shooting, game ,rough shooting , pest control etc , I use clear pigeon 32g no 6.

use what suits you and your chosen gun though. :thumbs:

For dear little bunnies I will use one of my shotguns , the rimmie or my pcp , controlling rabbits takes different methods for different situations. :yes:

• Like 2