If mostly for lamping i'd either go for a 8x50/56 fixed power or a variable scope WITHOUT paralax adjustment. Nothing worse than having to fiddle about with image clarity when time if of the essence. An illuminated reticule also helps a lot.

Most important thing is to MAKE SURE YOU LOOK THROUGH IT FIRST. Nothig worse that buying something off t'interweb and realising you don't get on with it.

Thanks guys I was looking into Nikon and Hawke scopes what are they like ?

Nikon are good. Hawke not so much so IMO. I favour fixed power scopes, but it's a personal thing. I've have an 8x56 Docter on my 223 bought second hand for less than £300 and a 8x56 S&B on my 308.

Many cheap scopes don't like bright sunlight on high magnification". I have MTC 4-16 and 2x MTC 6-24's, 6-24's not so good on a sunny day against white targets on high magnification....Quality secondhand would be a better recommendation from me...If you dont like the scope than you can always flog it an get what you paid back too...Unlike new cheap ones.

My 223 ackley lamping gun has a nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 np2dd cracking scope

F5E69A8F-2A56-40C0-BFC7-0D42D8443A88.jpg

On my 6br long rang plinker and day time foxer has the nightforce NXS 8-32x56 np2dd on it

EBB9DC5C-B3F8-4EC4-AD20-D90259F682FF.jpg

You can pick a second hand NXS up for £1000 or maybe little less, remember your optics is what will pay especially at night

Gaz

I'd go for a second hand schmidt & bender personally.

Will hold its value, quality glass and wont cost the earth and will last a long time.

R Mcleod & Son in Scotland carry a really good selection of new & used optics, real genuine honest guy in his descriptions of his scopes and fast delivery.

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk

Edited by AThomas
  • 3 weeks later...

Im a big fan of fixed mag scopes,you get a lot more for your money versus a variable, ive my cz527 .223 topped with an optimate gold badge 6×44,its clearer than most scopes 3 times its price,sucks up light a treat for foxing,ide highly recommend them if you can find one,not many on sale s/h ,as like me once youve used one you aint letting it go:)

• 2 weeks later...