German Wirehaired Pointer

attachicon.gifIMG_0266.JPG

Mine is 18 months old now and is turning into a decent animal ....I have never been so frustrated with a dog but I know its already been said but they really do need to be left as pups and I found when training it was little and often but very quick to pick things up and easy to train but it has to be when they are ready and all the training I done really has paid off and its all clicking together .....had him out beating last week which I was worried about but it was a big shoot with over 20000 birds down and the drives are big so plenty of scope if a dog ranges out a bit but he never put a foot wrong and was solid as a rock so that was a big relief .....had him out the other night with the weeman shooting over him and it was good to see a dog come onto his game with some steady points and very steady when flushing ....really looking forward to a lot of years of fun with this dog onwards and up wards for young Rab

hes a lovely dog extreme hunter,ye my bitch i have to say has great nose and lovely thing to range with point comeing on steader every time its just this slip up with the retrieving that i have to pull her back to basic training again.but she really does still have her puppy moments when you just think to urself how will this ever come good ha.there such a lovely gentle animal but and a pure joy to work with

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My friend like to hunt with this dogs, he has 3 dogs in his kennel   Hi hunt with GWP for: snipe, quail, partridge, pheasant, duck ....   All dogs in his kennel like to retrieve and no problem w

Mine is 18 months old now and is turning into a decent animal ....I have never been so frustrated with a dog but I know its already been said but they really do need to be left as pups and I found whe

Very well made animal with some bone on him and lots of drive ....still quite puppyish but he knows what his purpose is now

Posted Images

Best thing about my Drahthaar, we can hunt waterfowl in the am, hunt coyote at lunch, pheasant in the afternoon and raccoon and night. Yes, we have had days like this.

He is murder on predators, but doesn't ruin any of the small game or upland birds he retrieves.

• Like 1

mate I have a wire haired vizsla who will be 4 in march and he still plays with some of his retrieves (Dummys and cold game) but he is mint on shot stuff. He flushes like a spaniel in the wood but as the cover opens up he points I have never taught him to do this but it makes him a very versatile dog. He gets a lot of work and im a firm believer that the more controlled work they do the better they get.

I haven't trialled him yet as he is sensitive around crowds of people

Yes mate he does not as close as a spaniel but he is within 30 yards and I can stop and turn him on the whistle if I want him to work closer. He is never out of control. I think he just likes to be in contact but I play to this by calling him in now and then to work a bit of cover for me and I think that exercise means he is expecting my commands

post-88284-0-23450300-1446409396_thumb.png

Out again over the weekend the young dogs really are working well my mate has the dam and litter sister to mine he has had 30 days picking up at the grouse already this season and it has done the young bitch a world of good ...the young dog of mine has a right style when hes working and cant wait to get him on the hill next season he should be bang on by then

• Like 3

Thunderbelly the hunt point retrieve breeds are collectively known as HPR so the likes of vizsla the germans , brittanys and the whole host of French type pointers

Thanks, they are called "versatile" here, but it confuses me. The people who run the Versatile click only use their dogs to hunt birds. Really doesn't seem that versatile to me. My dog hunts fur, and feather, whether it's predator, herbivore, upland bird or waterfowl. The club members scolded me because I said I was going raccoon hunting after we were do.e the upland bird trials.

We watched a puppy natural ability trail that day, only pup that hadn't been trained and was running off just natural ability, didn't win. Seems contradictory to me.

Sorry, got off topic there.