German Wirehaired Pointer

I'm thinking of getting myself a gwp starting to do a bit of work,but from talking to a few good hunting men and good dog men recently they tell me that they are known to be hard of the mouth???can anyone tell me more??

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My friend like to hunt with this dogs, he has 3 dogs in his kennel   Hi hunt with GWP for: snipe, quail, partridge, pheasant, duck ....   All dogs in his kennel like to retrieve and no problem w

Mine is 18 months old now and is turning into a decent animal ....I have never been so frustrated with a dog but I know its already been said but they really do need to be left as pups and I found whe

Very well made animal with some bone on him and lots of drive ....still quite puppyish but he knows what his purpose is now

Posted Images

Thats grand lad just putting it out there cause few of these guys were saying I'd be safer with the french griffon if I could come across 1, that they are the very same article but just a little gentler of the mouth.but the gwp I love they are a class act.

Thats grand lad just putting it out there cause few of these guys were saying I'd be safer with the french griffon if I could come across 1, that they are the very same article but just a little gentler of the mouth.but the gwp I love they are a class act.

There is Griffon blood in the mix but they are not the same.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Ye I was thinking that alright they are a fine animal too,big strong dog.your country is full of them isn't it??

pjmc, they aren't the most common gun dogs. But we have two types over here. The first is the AKC version called a German Wirehaired Pointer. These are not considered the best for hunting. That is not just my opinion and I don't mean to offend anyone. The second is the German breed club version. These are the originals and are subjected to testing to ensure that their versatile abilities remain intact. Mine is this type so maybe I'm a little bit prejudiced. :whistling:

I would say that a good Griffon is a nice choice for a hunting dog. But they are not the same as a Wirehair.

ATB

Ah right very good that I didn't know,fair play to you for that info it's great to get it before I turn around and make the wrong move.do u breed them urself mickey or just u just keep them,

Well look I think ur dead right if u know your dog and it's breeding you may as well sing it's praises.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, his dogs can work all day.

When the day is very hot, hi hunt till the wind is good and strong for quail hunting. After hi going to swamp and hunt duck.

Exactly hi is a big fan of GWP, hi spends a lot of time in the field.

Since March, he drives the swamp for training their dogs on jacksnipe, great snipe. In Summer switch to partridge and quail. In August, when the hunting season starts his the dogs in good shape and bring the flair of the hunt.

Edited by Nick_Ua
  • 3 weeks later...

there are all gundog breeds that *can* be hard in the mouth, GWP arent known for it, and not every single one is. its all about training.

very nice dogs if you do decide to get one, i prefer the slovakian rough haired pointer, or the GSP but GWP are very nice dogs, and are on my list to own!

• 3 months later...

Well lads being awhile since I first started this post but since then I have got new kennels built and ready for my new gwp.it hasn't been the easiest job comeing across the right dog but at last I think I have her,I'm driving 4hrs to look at her Saturday.shes 15 or 16 months old has some obidence work done sitting healing retrieving of land and water, and only set a few times but didn't hold for very long she ran in and flushed the bird but that's basically it.she should be ok I think she's at a nice age to keep at her now and get her out in sept.anyting else I should look out for with her.thanks chaps