Books

muttley94

hi guys,

fairly new to this but doing my best to learn, reading a lot online, mostly here haha, and watching a lot of videos but can anyone recommend the best books or DVDs to get please? there seems to be a wide selection and dont want to waste loads of time and money on ones that aren't any good! any suggested of stuff thats helpful or people used themselves would be great :D

Mainly looking for stuff to do with care, training and a general beginners guide, mostly likely thinking of getting a harris hawk

Thanks,

Matt

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

For Harris' hawks I quite like Martin Hollinshead's The Complete Rabbit and Hare Hawk, as well as the one's stated above.

Its a shame you don't live near to me or I would lend you some of mine [ the cheap ones obviously ]

David, that would be good of you. But to be honest don't lend your books to anyone as they never come back like the condition you let them go out as. Many people don't want books just to look at and admire, it is the sheer content material which ofcourse is the most practical issue. However, letting out a £500 book to a book that amounts only to approx £30 is something of a big difference id say.Although your books would arrive back on the stated time and in perfect condition.

• Like 1

For Harris' hawks I quite like Martin Hollinshead's The Complete Rabbit and Hare Hawk, as well as the one's stated above.

Its a shame you don't live near to me or I would lend you some of mine [ the cheap ones obviously ]

ive got and read the complete rabbit and hare, thought it was great! Ive managed to read a few others too since and hopefully am covering most of the basics! I've hopefully got some practical experience sorted in the next few weeks looking at a couple of different species so hopefully this is the start of something for me :D

• Like 1

The books are endless and there are still some titles around which are worth collecting. Just a little advice, look after them and if needed put a protective cover over the dust jacket. To look and marvel at ones collection with tight nice condition books , most adorable. I hate to watch how certain people treat their books and other peoples which have been so kind in the first place to lend them out. Nowadays I simply don't do it. It would be ludicrous to let people read a book that is over a thousand pound or more. However, i'm always keen to help the good guys.I'm going to become a moderator so I can help the good lads.What are peoples thoughts?I have decided to write afew titles down on paper and i'm sending a good guy a certain title over to Ireland. I haven't told him anything about the books yet , due to it being a surprize. All I can say is , is that the book in question is a wealth of information and it it will be proved to become invaluable.If any readers ever seem fit to drop me a line please do.'But like I always say, it's the genuine guys I need for company, I value my time, knowledgeand effort very important not just to myself, but to the other person involved.Friendship ia very important to me, that;s why nowadays i've gone lonesome! It is like the guy called which are in Old Trap collector, in my opinion he's doing a stirling job with his endless knowledge awarded to people who are in the game for a little help and knowledge.A good book that has stood the test of time is P.Glaisers Falconry and Hawking and he did so much for the sport of Falconry.Another by the Author Harting, printed in old English is quite good.I'M OUTDATED WITH ALL THE MODERN TITLES OF TODAY.Look for any of Roger Uptons books which are invaluable. His book are great to read and he is superb with his knowledge. I'ii just jot afew down for any interested parties.All of Mavros are great but the !st editions command high prices. John Loft who did reside in Louth in Lincolnshire did publish a book called a Merlin for me, which is worth every penny.If you come across a 1st edition, snap it up. I only have a brand new copy in my collection.I would be interested to hear if J,Darcyhas a copy because he tells me he collects all types and 1sts also. As The Falcon her Bells by p, Glaiser is quite a good book and you can pick up a reasonable cheap copy.Another reallly good book is written by the old Author E.B.Mitchells The Art and Practise of Hawking ist edition1900. of which I think you would expect to spend £ 100 per 1st edition. Unfortunately I have forth impression 1967 from a smalll Antiquarian book shop in Mansfield, to be honest I forgot how much I paid; it couldn't have been expensive because I was still at school.Wonderful days! Have you got it ? There are some wonderful books.

1,Falconry for you, Humprey,A,P Evans. Quite delightful and some good black and white photos. And there is the old boy Robin Haigh stooping his lagger to the Lure.2As the Falcon her Bells by the world famous Author P, Glaiser.3, J.G,Mavrogordato, A Hawk for A Bush mainly to do with the Accipiters.4, J.G. Ma]]]]]vrogordato Falcon in The Field devoted to the Falcons and is a treatise on the flying of them. These books are extensive in their knowledge and could quite clearly be called classics Safe your money from he public house and invest in the 1st editions. You won't regret it!

Edited by Lutra Lutra

In my opinion, the best book I have read on accipiters is "Training The Shortwing Hawk" an Elizabethan Perspective by Edmund Bert. I would get the Derry Argue Translation as it makes for easier reading. If I only had one book on falconry it would be this.

Another of my favourites is Bushytails and Buteos" by Gary Brewer mainly as it reminds me of my time hunting my old redtail. :D

I'll second that about the Edmund Bert/Derry Argue book.........a fascinating & still a challenging read. Strangely, in the 300 or so years since that's been written, there hasn't been another decent book written about flying goshawks in the uk? Truly bizarre.....

.....& unless you've got money to burn, I wouldn't be worried about chasing up first editions either.....;-)