Who use's a 28 ?

After using my Son's 28g i'm wondering if i'll be using the 12g much in 2015 !

I've been using 19gm 6# on a mates Clay ground and it has proved it can shoot Clays on par with a 12g !

If you get chance to use a 28g you will be surprised with how good this underused calibre is.

• Like 1

Shot one many times, an English boxlock belonging to a shooting friend.

It's like anything, if the gun fits and you put the shot in the right place, whatever it is will fall.

I do like the 28 a great deal, it'll probably be the next shotgun I look for but i'll wait for the right one.

For game, I hardly used the 12 this season at all, stuck to my 16 bore.

I have always fancied a 28, I think a nice side by side will be my next shotgun purchase, I remember watching a guy shooting some very high pheasants and duck with one back in the 90s while I was beating, yes the bloke could bloody shoot, but I saw him pull some birds down that I would have been very pleased to kill with the 12 bore.

Who use's a 28 ?

After using my Son's 28g i'm wondering if i'll be using the 12g much in 2015 !

I've been using 19gm 6# on a mates Clay ground and it has proved it can shoot Clays on par with a 12g !

If you get chance to use a 28g you will be surprised with how good this underused calibre is.

Only if you put them in the right place, then virtually any calibre can, the issue is knowing where the right place is, you don't need a 12 to knock down almost anything!

:thumbs:

• Like 1

21g through a 28bore are superb shells. The patterns are very good, apparently its to do with the load being square, i.e., as wide as it is tall. I bought one on a whim and was amazed at how effective it was, on clays and game

That's certainly true of many bore/cartridge combinations,

Like any gun, be it a rifle, shotgun, pistol or air rifle, it will have it's "favourite" load that is most suited to it and if I remember correctly with shotgun bores it's something like;

12 bore - 30 grams - 1 1/6oz

16 bore - 26 grams - 15/16 oz

20 bore - 24 grams - 6/7 oz

28 bore - 21 grams - 3/4oz

.410 - 14 grams I think.

At least that's what I can recall, may be slightly different.

I'm no expert but that list looks about right from memory.

Used to use a 20 bore until i outgrown it, ofc upgraded to a 12 but always thought I shot just as good birds with a 20 than a 12, maybe not such high duck but peasants and snipe did just as good a job on.