Open Licence

It also depends on how much ammunition you are going through as this dictates in his /her eyes your competencey, you may want to take photo's of your quarry which you can use as evidence ( not really needed tbh) but after a set period of time which is normally no less than 6 months they can open it up for you providing you have proved your need of use for this.

Edited by celticrusader

Ammo use over such a short period means jack and hopefully the FEO has the sense to know this as well. A few hours on paper can mop up most peoples maximum purchase quantity.... And how does that equal 'experience'?

when I asked the feo how long before I can get the ticket opened the quantity of ammunition used was quoted by him as a factor

Yes its not a well thought out idea but this is something some of them do work to, Well the amount of ammo that you go through let's say 2000 rounds within 6 months shows in there eyes that you have used the rifle proficiently without causing a problem and are therefor safe for you to be considered for an open certificate, the amount of time varies obviously depending on a feo and the situation.

Also having a FAC for the first 5 yrs then automatically having it opened doesn't equal experience either yokel matt as I've known people buy rifles and use them only a few times for them to then be opened after this set time, I believe the situation I have stated to be a better one as it forces the user to partake more often and prove competence in constant use to a certain degree.

As stated none of these methods truly do show someone's competence level but I believe it is only the safety aspect in which they look for.

Edited by celticrusader

Ammo use over such a short period means jack and hopefully the FEO has the sense to know this as well. A few hours on paper can mop up most peoples maximum purchase quantity.... And how does that equal 'experience'?

when I asked the feo how long before I can get the ticket opened the quantity of ammunition used was quoted by him as a factor

Every FEO and every Region has their take on this...certainly it may well be a factor, if you have had a FAC for a few years and used no ammo it may not look good, and as someone else mentioned here, if you have spent a day or two on a range you may well have used a lot.

The FAC/uses must be considered, but anyone who suggests the amount of ammo used shows experience is deluded...just the same it can go a long way with some regions/FEO!

I have a 17hmr on my licence how do I get it opened.

Show a good reason to Open it ahead of the 5 year renewal, then keep your fingers crossed, it can be a bit of a lottery, but as mentioned most regions tend to Open it at renewal!

ATB

When my fac was renewed I had the fire arms officer round for a check

We had a cup t and a chat one of the questions I asked was does the amount of bullets used

Make a difference because I had not brought any HMR rounds since the last renewal and only shot about 100 rounds

I was told no because it might say you have brought 10.000 rounds on your ticket but it doesn't mean you've shot them

They might be under the insulation in the loft all you need is good reason to own it