In Two Minds

leethedog

A.friend of mine has a female Harris and a red tail I've always hunted with dogs and ferrets and my friend is trying to get me in to birds bin out with him a couple of times and don't see me doing it but he recons when you train your own bird and go on your own it's different and compairs it to coursing with a dog and I'm after some impartial views please

Hunting with a harris hawk takes no more commitment than running a lurcher or working terriers etc etc etc. Any hobby taken seriously takes up all a persons spare time, I knew a stamp collector and a couple of metal detectorists that were obsessed with what they did. Serious fishermen make your average harris hawker look like a part time messer lol.

The fact remains that you have to really want to do something,anything. I would love to give fish keeping a serious go but my hunting and fishing means that its impossible and having a two four foot tanks wasn't enough so I got rid of it all.

Thanks people nut I think you all misunderstood what I was asking not wether I should do it but does it compare to coursing as a adrenaline kick as I don't run muts no more and I've seen hawks worked along side bushing terrier

Your asking an impossible question. The reason why there are so many types of hunting never mind the uncountable number of other hobbies is because different people enjoy different things. Look on the ferreting section at the lads who use nets, they choose that way of hunting over all the others but you would have to pay me to use a net again to catch a rabbit. I have seen hare coursing but never wanted a hare coursing dog myself. Only you can decide if hunting with a hawk provides enough entertainment, as for an adrenaline kick I can recommend skydiving.

I've coursed and flown birds n done both together short answer too your question is no they all very different personaly as much as I enjoy hawking I prefer coursing with a dog more

Pointer very valid in what he saying about keeping birds you can do it and mtid other things if you so choose its down to motivation and expectation

I'd say a good percentage of those that actually take up a hawk and hunt have spent a life time wishing to do so looked at it walked away but keep coming back until they take plunge

Others simy jump in feet first and fook it a up cos they have money and no sense

When it comes to Hawks im a firm believer in if yA gunna yA just gunna and yA will find a way yA just will ......if there's any hesitation it's clearly not for you

The courser and falconer both get the same high kill or miss it's just about bring part of it all and there as it happens

I'd seen falconry displays & it never really grabbed me to be honest, I find them dull, but the first time I went hunting with a female Harris & I saw her catch a ferreted rabbit,,...that was it! I was hooked from day one, I just knew I had to do it, no matter what...it even influenced where I bought a house with my then girlfriend! Lol

If you don't feel like that now, I suggest you stick to the dogs mate....

I'd seen falconry displays & it never really grabbed me to be honest, I find them dull, but the first time I went hunting with a female Harris & I saw her catch a ferreted rabbit,,...that was it! I was hooked from day one, I just knew I had to do it, no matter what...it even influenced where I bought a house with my then girlfriend! Lol

If you don't feel like that now, I suggest you stick to the dogs mate....

Bang on that

• 2 weeks later...

I went as far as getting a mentor and spending every weekend I could with him and his redtail

I spent a year doing that and realised at the time I couldn't dedicate the time to really training a bird to the standard I was shown

I f####Ing loved the hunting we did on rabbit and I saw the bird take a couple of woodland phesants really was amazing and I love the traditional aspect of it :)

One day I'll get there but I think it is a big ask of your time flying a bird

its a big commitment taking any bop on,the answere is is your heart in to it ,have you the time for the bird have you got some one who will feed and look after the bird while you go on holiday lots of things to think about

• Like 1