Size Of A Bushing Dog

matt1979

i am of the opinion that if you hunt on foot and have big area's of cover to work like moorland forestry and bog you really need to use dogs with a bit of leg. little short arse terriers just dont cope well with this sort of ground. and most times end up under someones arm. so we can get on. :D

Thats why i prefer the Beddy types,up on the leg and endless stamina,back to the original post,one of my biggest gripes is people with big bushing dogs that they believe will get through the tightest of cover,the facts are they cannot and never will with the speed necessary to get the job done,by the time the bigger bushers get a quarter of the way through a tight spot that holds,the inhabitant is away and safe,most of the time.People mistake what a busher is capable of in open land and sporadic cover,better suited to a bigger and speedier mutt,when the land is dense and restricted big bushers are useless and only the mutts that can get their way through,at speed,get the job done.The land you visit plays an important role in the type of busher that suits,the right terrier types cover all scenarios and have the advantage of entering,below and shifting what needs shifting,something else the bigger bushers cannot.

• Like 5

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

f**k'em   He keeps the man, who keeps the dog, happy

Thats why i prefer the Beddy types,up on the leg and endless stamina,back to the original post,one of my biggest gripes is people with big bushing dogs that they believe will get through the tightest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0QR_kX7UEs   nothing leggy gonna be steaming through bramble/thorn cover this tight,plenty busher types that we can all use to get the most out the type land we hunt

Posted Images

Horses for corses hounds for grounds isn't it

I have found good bushing dogs are never phased by wat ground or cover their worked on tbh.

very true mate :thumbs: , ive got 2 dogs(lurchers) here that will go in any cover if there game in there, and my young dog would shock you as he does me , he is massive bugger but he gets in cover, if he carnet get his head in which is large, he will smash through to get the rabbit or bird no prob. even Bryn my older dog watches him encase there a bolt lol. but I would say normal lol type size would be about 12-20ins and same i n weight . :yes:

My old mans lurcher beddie grey x will enter cover occasionally to get at stuff and he is 23tts but in truth it's not something that is encourage because more times than not the rabbit will bolt and he is knackered trying to get out and run, much rather a runner that reads the smaller dog and hangs back a little easier said than done though When they want in on the action When he does catch in cover it's nearly always myxi rabbits as anything fit and healthy will move through the cover hence the need for smaller dogs that an really pressure in cover, just my experience on the lad in hunt atb

• Like 1

My old mans lurcher beddie grey x will enter cover occasionally to get at stuff and he is 23tts but in truth it's not something that is encourage because more times than not the rabbit will bolt and he is knackered trying to get out and run, much rather a runner that reads the smaller dog and hangs back a little easier said than done though When they want in on the action When he does catch in cover it's nearly always myxi rabbits as anything fit and healthy will move through the cover hence the need for smaller dogs that an really pressure in cover, just my experience on the lad we hunt atb

My lad working some blackthorn today.

Entry.

Exit on other side.

He gets through that easy enough, do you find cover like that, being that it's in a wooded area tends to hold a lot of deer. atb daywalker.

Mainly Muntjac in there, seen the odd pair of Roe but they tend to get out in the open, bushed a few muntjac from hedge bottoms surrounding the woods as well. Edited by bryanm45