Thoughts Please?

Had the old bitch out last weekend, decent night. Sunday she was limping and back leg swollen. Closer look and deep bruising all over her hamstring onto chest. Rested her all week brusing gone down and swelling slowly going also. She's eating alright and bouncing about being herself, problem being she's drinking a hell of a lot of water and I'm talking 3-4 bowls a day? She has just came out of season also, never had this sort of problem! Any thoughts or advice or I think it's a trip to the vet.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I recently had to have my 12yr old staff put to sleep as her liver and kidneys were packing in . 1 of the symptoms was that she would excessively be drinking water and looking for more . I'm not saying your dog has the same but worth getting checked out How old is it has it got any lumps on its body ? Has it took a hard knock ? It also could be diabetic .

She's took a knock that I've never seen when lamping in guessing, how I've not seen it beats me though. There was a lump and the deep bruising on the top of her hamstring. Where she's either knocked or torn something which has swollen her whole leg up. this is all slowly dieing off. She only started drinking a lot on Monday and she's continued all week. She's 8 now, she's herself in everyway. I just can't get round the water, I was thinking it was from her injury, then I was thinking it's because she's just out of season. But I'm just second guessing myself now.

Had a similar thing happen to my bitch. Went out during the day for a few runs, but when we got back and I put her away then when I went to check on her, her whole shoulder was swollen and badly bruised, I had her to the vets and they just put her on anti-inflammatories. So I bought I bio-flow collar because they're meant to help blood flow. I think it helped heal. But to this day the muscle is still soft compare to the other shoulder. And she still runs

Had a similar thing happen to my bitch. Went out during the day for a few runs, but when we got back and I put her away then when I went to check on her, her whole shoulder was swollen and badly bruised, I had her to the vets and they just put her on anti-inflammatories. So I bought I bio-flow collar because they're meant to help blood flow. I think it helped heal. But to this day the muscle is still soft compare to the other shoulder. And she still runs

It's funny you say that mate, been out with terrier today and my mate popped in afterward to see the bitch. She was bouncing around wanting to go but her legs still a bit swollen. Bruising has just about cleared now but the muscle is slightly sagging on her top side. And her ankle is holding a bit swelling. Like I say eating fine and herself in everyway. But since Monday she's just gone water crazy. I don't know if it's because she's coming out of season, her leg, maybe a water infection due to being in season. She's gone a little easier on water today than the last few days so hopefully it will be sorted. Obviously if it doesn't I will take a trip to the vets just to clear it over. I've never had it happen before so I don't have an expalnation to why this would happen. Atm I think she's making progress. Keep a close eye on her and pop her in next week if the water issue continues.

Was going to run her in today, but thankfully she's recovered. Swelling and bruising all gone, bouncing around wanting to go out rest her up for another week or so to be sure. No longer drinking water like its the last she will ever get. Weird things do happen. Thanks for the advice appreciate it.

bruised or damaged muscle releases the cell contents into the blood, and the kidneys have to filter this out. it can take some time for this to sort itself out, and obviously the kidneys will function better if there is plenty of water avaialable to dilute the blood. was the urine very dark reddish/brownish colour?

google "rhabdomyolysis", it can be caused by over exercise or by trauma

• Like 2

The injury might be a torn gracilis muscle, if so it will take time to heal, it has ended many careers.

The drinking could well be Rhabdomyalysis or coursing thirst which have been discussed here before

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/219447-coursing-thirst/

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/251490-rhabdomyolysis-part-2/

• Like 1