Spikes For Tying Up

What's every one using for tying dogs out near the hole we usually tie near fence or trees used them gun dog peg things before a few times but found the dogs just bend them too easy and tried making one out of steel but it met the same end and would constantly get pulled out has any one got any pics of what they use or think is the best and explain what material it's made from

I hate those corkscrews, they tangle in everything.

I just buy a cheap poker in any hardwear shop and cut a couple of inches of it so it's not pointed (in case you tripped going through a ditch) .

The important thing is the ground you peg them in. A small terrier would pull up a corkscrew in peat but a small pin would hold a couple of fells all day if in good solid ground.

Just check them every so often while digging.

It dont rock my boat having dogs tied up on a dig . the less anyone can see the less chance of them sticking NEB's in ..I always did it as a youngster and used a metal dowel with ring on . probably a bit bigger than it needed to be lol . I used to keep it in bottom of net bag . if I come across it I'll put a pic on. Have a look in the stainless steel thread flying fox makes some

Edited by yorkshire
  • Like 1

A 6ft lead from strong stuff with a mountaineering clip on the end to fasten around tree/post when ground is too soft or one of the dog corkscrew spikes with the handle cut right down and bent into a loop, this is small enough to fit in my pocket on my back pack also stops it bending with the aforementioned clip through the loop (done by a welder i know).

• Like 1

I hate those corkscrews, they tangle in everything.

I just buy a cheap poker in any hardwear shop and cut a couple of inches of it so it's not pointed (in case you tripped going through a ditch) .

The important thing is the ground you peg them in. A small terrier would pull up a corkscrew in peat but a small pin would hold a couple of fells all day if in good solid ground.

Just check them every so often while digging.

I've never seen anybody use a poker for pinning dogs on, I suppose it would do the trick. Neil surely a small terrier would pull up a poker in peat just the same as a corkscrew though, yet a corkscrew in solid ground could maybe hold a few terriers? Personally I don't carry anything to pin terriers on, we usually put the chain handles over fence posts or loop the chain around a small tree trunk or anything steady enough to chain them to. I don't carry a bar and havnt done in a long time, reason being all the bad speculation about them and what the antis believe they are used for lol. id say some people would give me a funny look and Wonder what I'm doing taking out a poker to go down the field with dogs! Do you understand where I'm coming from? ?

Yes but a poker cut to 8 or 9 inches is the same as any pin.

The corkscrew is a great job for holding a terrier or two but I find with them in walking to earths they get tangled in clothing, bushes and wire. That's just my opinion.

Yes a terrier will pull up a tether in peat. To me the secret is to find good ground to tether your terrier or terriers in so they don't get loose.

Someone said they don't tether terriers at all but leave them in the box. But most lads over here park their vehicle up and set of walking so you have to bring the terriers you want to work, so some will be tethered.

I haven't tied a terrier to a tree or fence in years because I've seen them nearly hang themselves. It's hard enough to concentrate on the terrier under ground let alone the ones not being worked.

It's far easier to throw an eye on them when their staked out in the open with no snags. As long as you check the pin now and again.

• Like 1

That does make sense yet as we all know terriers do get slightly wound up easily especially if they are tethered up while a dig is taking place, so if they are tethered together they could end up having a disagreement, I wouldn't chance it just incase even though all our terriers are not fighters. To tether them seperately would then mean having to bring multiple pins/screws etc. too much hassle. Most places are usually along the perimeter of fields or drains/rivers where posts are plentiful and so are trees so Its handy enough at times to find a decent secure place. I wouldn't recommend chaining a dog to a high tree branch or something similar, obviously an over active dog tied In such a place could end up in the dog being hanged. The base of a fence post or bottom of a tree trunk even a spare spade or grafter works for us. It's more productive if you could tether them out in the middle of a space were they can be easily watched but I don't have any issues as long as they are on good strong chains with strong clasps that are not prone to being unclipped accidentally. Them corkscrews are a bollocks I only ever bought one and I think I gave it away, either way it's not here anymore, waste of time and money.

Edited by THE GENERAL