The Numbers Game

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

year 1955, decent numbers for me, manchester terrier, and whip x grey, christ those were the days, im still at it now in 2015, i dunna bother about numbers, never have, but i can tell you this, im now

When the going is good you make the most of it with your dog ,theres a alot of times in the year you cant do owt for some reason or other.fill the car up and get on the road.    

its nice to no you can do the numbers and have the dog to do it,,even when you do slow down a little

Posted Images

:hmm:Just seen the segmant of that CW article, on the feasability of lurchers, catching big numbers of rabbits...Those words are nothing new....

In my opinion,..this kind of thinking is exactly the same script as aimed at myself, many years ago,.by Plummer the Writer.

I remember your spats in the old shooting News with the great one, good reading, thats when it was worth buying i use to correspond with your good self, Daergi, and Tommy Mcphee from Caithness.

Happy memories.

Ha

We had a wee tiff,.. regarding Collie crosses..

I had been brought up with such dogs,.whereas he was just getting involved with them,..or at least his own romantic image of the ancient type.

I maintained that these fabulous sheepdog / running dog hybrids, the ones that genuinely favour the herding side of the mix,..in behaviour and attitude,.as opposed to those that are little more than virtual running dogs,...will,.in many cases,.start to pick and choose their runs after a severe testing night, on scores of rabbits...

He dissagreed... :laugh:

That is fair enough,..each to their own kinda thing....etc,.etc..

The fact that ,.at the time,..I was totaly obsessed with night walking and could actualy, put meat on the bones of my statement,.as opposed to him simply theorising about things,.meant nothing to the fellow.

My opinion obviously annoyed him and prompted him to write,..."Mr Lloyd,..I don't think you know what a real lurcher is"...

Now,.back in the day,.there was a tiny wee smigion of, freedom of speech in the Shooting News,..and my instant reply to him,.really hit the mark...."Dear Sir,..I definitely do know what a real lurcher is,... mine has just paid the mortgage !"

Our legendary hated of each other, twinned with a non-stop, war of words,.. had begun... :laugh:

The next retort from the wordsmith, was an article, aimed directly at myself, where he thought to ridicule me . His treatise mocked the feasability of me paying the mortgage, from the taking of rabbits and this premise was described and dissected in great detail.

Mathamatical equations, accurately timed responses for retrieves to hand,.cost of fuel,.weather conditions,..etc,.were all given in great detail..The amount of runs per catch ratio, per dog, were graphed out in such detail that the list had my head spinning...

It was an exeptionaly well thought out piece of scientific work,...choc full of data,...so much so,.that even I started to fecking believe it... :laugh:

Facts were, back in the 1980s,..I was,.for a short while,. paying the mortgage with the help of my lurchers,...but,.silly bollocks had jumped the gun and his foolish jealousy caused him to pen this now,.much copied article..Unfortunately,.the inexperienced lurcher guys who doubt that a keen man with a class dog,. can kill game in numbers, always follow his lead..

How short sighted,..and how disrespectful to the qualities of the ultimate canine...

How foolishly naive.....

Truth is,... I never actualy mentioned anything,.. about lamping poxy rabbits :thumbs:

• Like 4

Who wrote the fukcing thing ......

Was it you Mr Darcy you wanker? haha

Not that i know of....when was it in?
As I ain't bought it for 25 years maybe someone else can answer that haha...and your answer sounds like a politicians lol.."not that I know of" ..you a long lost child of Tony Blair? :-)
  • Like 2

Who wrote the fukcing thing ......

Was it you Mr Darcy you wanker? haha

Not that i know of....when was it in?
As I ain't bought it for 25 years maybe someone else can answer that haha...and your answer sounds like a politicians lol.."not that I know of" ..you a long lost child of Tony Blair? :-)

ha ha you messer!

• Like 1

Markbrick lol.

Nu 1 rabbit catcher maybe he should come back on.

Or maybe mark you dog scamming shit stirring piece of shit you should crawl back under that rock your from eh :bye: .

But there's a whole world off difference between a country man with a up to it working lurcher and a countryside pillager with fit dogs imo ;).

• Like 2

Markbrick lol.

Nu 1 rabbit catcher maybe he should come back on.

Or maybe mark you dog scamming shit stirring piece of shit you should crawl back under that rock your from eh :bye: .

But there's a whole world off difference between a country man with a up to it working lurcher and a countryside pillager with fit dogs imo ;).

THATS GOOD COMING FROM A SMACK HEAD WHO ROBS HIS MATES TOOLS FROM HIS GARAGE FOR HIS NEXT HIT,

Whatever anyone says about Mark I can vouch for his mutts,he travelled nigh on a thousand mile return trip to venture out with me,the dogs done grand and I wouldn't say any different...I doubt no one has had more arguements with Mark than myself on these forums and via the phone lol..he's a decent fella deep down who enjoys working his dogs just like the rest of us..all water under the bridge between us now..now send me a blank cheque you b*****d for kissing your arse on here..I will never fukcing live this down haha

• Like 4