The Numbers Game

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

year 1955, decent numbers for me, manchester terrier, and whip x grey, christ those were the days, im still at it now in 2015, i dunna bother about numbers, never have, but i can tell you this, im now

When the going is good you make the most of it with your dog ,theres a alot of times in the year you cant do owt for some reason or other.fill the car up and get on the road.    

its nice to no you can do the numbers and have the dog to do it,,even when you do slow down a little

Posted Images

if i had to count on rabbits to put a roof over my head i would give my self a real shake ,its pocket money what i can make as a shuttering carpenter . foreman site manager ,fishing in summer for six to 8 months will keep you well stocked for the winter and what you get is a bonus , if every rabbit is a prisoner all the time then time to take a step back and re think my level of play ,if every body thought rabbits or big numbers was pure wonga then they would go down rapidly in places ive done it my self and gave my self a good shaking ,,the only way to make good money is to charge for private job contracts for rabbit control on private gardens golf courses etc , made more for 3 visits than the hardest nite rabbiting with a jukel, im afraid the best rabbit places they rarely ever pay you as there guys who do it for sport , waiting in line ,but if the scenery is right there all sorts of game about well keeping the rabbits down is a good way to get your foot in the door , to faboulus breathtaking land

• Like 4

That "article" in the CMW is like much more drivel that gets wrote in that rag and is the very reason why I stopped buying it about 25 years ago..no doubt wrote by Johnny Muddlers mate sat in the pub half cocked haha ..I know what id rather take with a pinch of salt between tales of big hauls done by proper dog lads/lasses and articles like that lol...

• Like 1

its a lot better now the count of a mans weekly they have coulored pics of guys catching wats and big bad wabbits real heroes ,they have glossy tales of how to make your dog mark a rabbit or sean frain and his mouse terriers how they galvanised into action , brill read you should get it foji lol

i get it once in a while its ideal for keeping welies of floor in vestibule ,or how to run a shoot in a phone box i mean asmall peace of land ,heart warming stories , lol

• Like 2

Doing numbers, be it rabbits, hares, deer or fox (pre ban), takes a hell of alot of doing and the older you get the harder it becomes. If isn't just the running or the carrying, its the travelling that is a killer. Mile after mile of tail lights and white lines and motorway '50' zones. There's only one kind of man who will do this, and thats the kind who is obsessed with the game. Doing three six hour round trips a week and lamping all night is not for everyone, but for others it is a great adventure. Getting home at 9am, eyes burning and the dog's just about done for. But with a day of rest you're buzzing again and can't wait to pound that motorway once more. The way I looked at it, if you're travelling the thick end of two hundred miles to go hunting then it's better to fill your boots (and the car boot)and have a busy night....

There's two kinds of lurchermen; those that moan that there's not enough game about......and those that go out into the night and find it, come what may. JMHO.

• Like 10

if i had to count on rabbits to put a roof over my head i would give my self a real shake.

How do you know how much I earn ? It puts a roof over my head and looks after four kids ..........

Doing numbers, be it rabbits, hares, deer or fox (pre ban), takes a hell of alot of doing and the older you get the harder it becomes. If isn't just the running or the carrying, its the travelling that is a killer. Mile after mile of tail lights and white lines and motorway '50' zones. There's only one kind of man who will do this, and thats the kind who is obsessed with the game. Doing three six hour round trips a week and lamping all night is not for everyone, but for others it is a great adventure. Getting home at 9am, eyes burning and the dog's just about done for. But with a day of rest you're buzzing again and can't wait to pound that motorway once more. The way I looked at it, if you're travelling the thick end of two hundred miles to go hunting then it's better to fill your boots (and the car boot)and have a busy night....

There's two kinds of lurchermen; those that moan that there's not enough game about......and those that go out into the night and find it, come what may. JMHO.

I SECOND THAT J DARCY, HOW RIGHT YOU ARE..

Edited by swg dave

what im going to put ive heard this off 1other bloke off here,,and hit was andy, and i feel the same way has him on this ,,,theres bin a lot of time,s were you are glad to see the season come to a end,,,it,s not lack of keaness, your mind your body has just add enough ,of giving 6 months of your best,,,ive took this season with a pintch of salt,,since i lost ern a part of me in the game died with him,, may,be that was a sign in my life to slow down,,,, darcy you will not get a more truthfull post on what you wrote

Edited by tjones3862
  • Like 4

Spot on that..... :thumbs:

Spot on that..... :thumbs:

:thumbs: