The Numbers Game

back in the ninties the early part there was alot more rabbits some years between lamping ferreting box traps we had 200 to 400 a week then less and less , best season 3 to4 thousand but prices were poor , so we got int o other game

but lately the rabbits have been good 2 50 to 3 00 pound a head in some establish ments and i walked onto 20 thousand acres so handy bit of luck ,dont lamp but ferret it and dogs, but last year we had roughly 1500 this year weel end up with maybe 800 to 1100 roughly ,its a hobby nothing else , and legal as it can get ,i would pay a fiver or 6 quid for a scottish hill rabbit there a good fare lump and a feed for 3 people with the trimmings ,

its great fun up in the hills, grouse, odd white hare, odd blackcock ,and plenty to go at , but you must have decent ferrets and dogs to boot as its testing week in week out,as the climate changes fast and it can be rough going

I have to agree with you there I have some land up on the Scottish hills and the rabbits are the healthyist I have seen massive things I have only been up once this season as I've been busy else were I will have to get up in the next couple of weeks
+2

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

year 1955, decent numbers for me, manchester terrier, and whip x grey, christ those were the days, im still at it now in 2015, i dunna bother about numbers, never have, but i can tell you this, im now

When the going is good you make the most of it with your dog ,theres a alot of times in the year you cant do owt for some reason or other.fill the car up and get on the road.    

its nice to no you can do the numbers and have the dog to do it,,even when you do slow down a little

Posted Images

cheers andy,, its true what say,, when you take it serious at times infact most times, it makes you wonder why we call it a hobby,,the weather 9 hours on your feet 6 hours driving some nites the carrying piss wet to the pants wellies filling up with water etc,it s not for most folk, and your lucky when you can find a mate like lofti who is as kean,, most folk wud jack a well paid job for the same thing,,lol

When the going is good you make the most of it with your dog ,theres a alot of times in the year you cant do owt for some reason or other.fill the car up and get up the road.

FullSizeRender3_zps74a9fe97.jpg

good going that lads.But how many more did you catch after the first hour? ;)

if your one of the lucky ones who live in the right place or have the right ground I take my hat of to you for being very lucky to have such numbers to catch . for me the big 100 or even 50 ( come close once 43 ) will/is still be my dream come true, be it ferrets dogs or long netting but some times the days that stay with you the longest are the hard fought ones and twos with the people past and present that will stay with me for the best reasons. out with like minded people doing what they love best enjoying a good day / night out happy hunting

• Like 3

if your one of the lucky ones who live in the right place or have the right ground I take my hat of to you for being very lucky to have such numbers to catch . for me the big 100 or even 50 ( come close once 43 ) will/is still be my dream come true, be it ferrets dogs or long netting but some times the days that stay with you the longest are the hard fought ones and twos with the people past and present that will stay with me for the best reasons. out with like minded people doing what they love best enjoying a good day / night out happy hunting

IM LIKE YOUR SELF AND MANY MORE ON HERE,, THE MIDLAND WERE I COME FROM HIS CRAP FOR BUNNYS,,,IFF I DID LIVE WERE I CUD WALK OUT ON BIG NUMBERS, I WUD NOT BOTHER WITH THEM,,,,IT GETS YOU OVER A BARREL WHEN YOU PUT 6 HOURS DRIVE INTO IT,,,YOU MAKE THE MOST OF IT,,,,

• Like 3

If you got the dogs and the drive take as many as you can why you can cause when you older or not so mad for it you still got memories and most men would love them numbers if only once in there time fair play to tj and lofti and anybody else whose done it atb Flacko

If you got the dogs and the drive take as many as you can why you can cause when you older or not so mad for it you still got memories and most men would love them numbers if only once in there time fair play to tj and lofti and anybody else whose done it atb Flacko

YOUR DEAD RIGHT MATE,,WUD YOU REMEMBER A PINT IN THE LOCAL OR A PINT ABROAD WITH THE LADS,,, AND HUNTING IS THE SAME ,,ITS WHAT YOU MAKE IT,,,EVERY 1 TO THERE OWN,,

• Like 1

back in the ninties the early part there was alot more rabbits some years between lamping ferreting box traps we had 200 to 400 a week then less and less , best season 3 to4 thousand but prices were poor , so we got int o other game

but lately the rabbits have been good 2 50 to 3 00 pound a head in some establish ments and i walked onto 20 thousand acres so handy bit of luck ,dont lamp but ferret it and dogs, but last year we had roughly 1500 this year weel end up with maybe 800 to 1100 roughly ,its a hobby nothing else , and legal as it can get ,i would pay a fiver or 6 quid for a scottish hill rabbit there a good fare lump and a feed for 3 people with the trimmings ,

its great fun up in the hills, grouse, odd white hare, odd blackcock ,and plenty to go at , but you must have decent ferrets and dogs to boot as its testing week in week out,as the climate changes fast and it can be rough going

I have to agree with you there I have some land up on the Scottish hills and the rabbits are the healthyist I have seen massive things I have only been up once this season as I've been busy else were I will have to get up in the next couple of weeks
+2

i always hear scottish rabbits are easy....i can easly say the in alot places in highlands the terrian is so bad u wouldnt run in daytime nevermind at night...it aint so easy for dog or owner....but if thats there premission then thats qhat dogs have to run on and thats what makes it twice as hard cause the rocks and ditches can be unreal aat night so every rabbit is well earned in my book

THERE WAS 11 HOURS LAMPING ON LOFTI PIC WITH NO BREAKS THATS ON EACH NITE,,,THERE NOT WHAT YOU CAN CALL JUMPING ON THE HOOKS,,

thats the dedication and desire that separates most lads from the likes of you lofti tomo etc and your dogs its not just the catching which is hard enough its the carrying of them numbers up and down in bad weather the miles you put in just to get there and then walk for hours on end and when your aching all over and still tired to go out and do it all again takes some doing in mind and body

• Like 1

YOUR DEAD RIGHT MATE,,WUD YOU REMEMBER A PINT IN THE LOCAL OR A PINT ABROAD WITH THE LADS,,, AND HUNTING IS THE SAME ,,ITS WHAT YOU MAKE IT,,,EVERY 1 TO THERE OWN,,

like I say im still looking forward to the big bag and if its local or abroad I hope its with mates that can enjoy the moment with me and im taking nothing away from any one that does it on a regular bases they put the work in it , and reap the rewards and good luck to them im just jealous lol

It's not just about testing yourself or the dog,...

In some situations you can find yourself traveling hundreds of miles, spending hours driving and getting through a fair amount of fuel in the process...there are considerable costs involved when traveling & for some it's there livelyhood so you need big bags....

Catching a dozen isn't going to keep a roof over your head or put fuel in the tank.....

Even if your out for pure pleasure alone it's nice to know you can cover your costs..

• Like 1