What Should A 9.5Kg Terrier Be Getting?

Hi All.

I have a tubby terrier Im trying to get the weight off, shes always been a tall, broad shouldered pat, weighing around 9.5kg.

But since her spaying and transfer onto a raw diet shes ballooned.

Shes not the most active dog around the house, but is manic all the time we`re out off lead mooching. Which is usually every day for around 3 miles plus the odd trip round the shop.

At the minute shes on 90 grams of meat and a good helping of greens. The meat can be tripe, minced lamb, rabbit, wings, chicken carcass or tinned fish, sometimes a mixture but never more than 90 grams of meat, well not as of late..

Fed once a day.

So yeah, as above. What would be a good weight reducing diet, without turning her into a veggie or leave her belly feeling like her throats been cut? Thanks in advance. Bob.

To be honest mate you can't give her less than 90 grams of meat or she will be one hungry dog ... Some dogs bloat out after being spayed and no matter what you do they will stay that size ........

Agree with Socks there: spaying can cause rapid weight gain, and because it is caused by a lack of hormones rather than too much food, you won't shift it much or at all. The only thing you could try is a vastly more active life, which ain't easy as any dog has to fit in around its owners. A 3 mile mooch every day is nothing for a dog, even a small one.

• Like 1

I`ll have to get her out more then. Hopefully more exercise and a strictly controlled diet will see her shed some weight.

Does the age of spaying matter? The reason I ask is the Mrs got her russell spayed very early and 4 years on, shes still trim tight and toned and could eat a horse with no weight gained.

Run her behind a motor.. :laugh: Theres only one safe lane I could do that on round here, and I think she`d do one bushing cos she knows it so well. I`ll give the treader a go, she`s used to that and will run for a fair way for a fatty. I`ll conclude with a before and after photos..

when working, mostly red meat,when working hard fatty red meat.

In the summer(very hot periods) when it's hard to exercise property, I found reducing left them hungry,and found the same weight of white meat left them content with out the weight gain.

No saying it's a science, just works for me.

Happy Hunting

Edited by slip lead
  • Like 1