Coursing "ammo"

IMO Id never bring one pup in, two pups rare themselves by playing and chasing picking up skills needed for later life, just my view, one pup has no company which for me is a negative thing

That was my thinking/reason i got 2 this time and can see the pros in having 2 together and maybe if they were kennelled id keep.them both, but i have dogs in house with me an they come everywhere with me, even work. I can justbsee im going to end up with 2 half trained dogs that dont listen rather than 1 well trained dog

get them out the house and in a kennel youle be doing you and the dogs a favoure

In what way?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some people work there dogs around there lifestyle.   But for some there dogs are there lifestyles

I have 10 all together in my kennels 4 sheep dogs a lurcher 4 terriers and a gundog. If I could put as much time into my lurcher and terriers as my sheepdogs there wouldn't be much time left in the we

If I had a few thousand acres of prime permission I'd bring a couple on... But its hard enough ducking and diving to get enough runs for one dog...

IMO Id never bring one pup in, two pups rare themselves by playing and chasing picking up skills needed for later life, just my view, one pup has no company which for me is a negative thing

That was my thinking/reason i got 2 this time and can see the pros in having 2 together and maybe if they were kennelled id keep.them both, but i have dogs in house with me an they come everywhere with me, even work. I can justbsee im going to end up with 2 half trained dogs that dont listen rather than 1 well trained dog

get them out the house and in a kennel youle be doing you and the dogs a favoure

In what way?

well his house wont be getting trashed and he be able to keep both dogs and I also think if you have dogs living with you indoors they get to attached to you because you tend to give them more attention than you would a dog living outdoor and thats when you get the separation angsiety the only time to fuss over a dog is its play time and quite often some off these dogs dont get enough off it so what would you say the pro, s are off keeping dogs indoors

Kept dogs outside before. I think in 10 or 11 yrs i lived in spain never had one of my dogs in house once. I know it is easier, especially when you have got a few dogs. Last lurcher i had in house and i enjoyed having him there and i think bond were better than ive had in previous dogs. Its not possible to kennel.a dog here, it would be gone same night. Even if i could kennel them it would still mean i could only spend half the time i could with one to one on each pup. So way im looking at it now is by letting 1 go i can spend double time on the 1 pup and thats got to pay off in end. I agree that 2 pups bring each other on and good company but in the little time ive had them i can see that the bond they have with each other will far outweigh any bond they will have with me if kept together, i know what i mean even if it doesnt make sense lol

Kept dogs outside before. I think in 10 or 11 yrs i lived in spain never had one of my dogs in house once. I know it is easier, especially when you have got a few dogs. Last lurcher i had in house and i enjoyed having him there and i think bond were better than ive had in previous dogs. Its not possible to kennel.a dog here, it would be gone same night. Even if i could kennel them it would still mean i could only spend half the time i could with one to one on each pup. So way im looking at it now is by letting 1 go i can spend double time on the 1 pup and thats got to pay off in end. I agree that 2 pups bring each other on and good company but in the little time ive had them i can see that the bond they have with each other will far outweigh any bond they will have with me if kept together, i know what i mean even if it doesnt make sense lol

makes perfect sense to me mate. I agree its easier to pen them but I don't agree that its better for the dog. I know which any dog would choose given the choice

A man with just the one dog could have his season over in one day or night with a bad injury but for me 3 is plenty because most men take 2 out at a time.

There is people out there prop have 5,6 running dogs because they come winter there out 4 days a week dogs need a rest so swapping round they need so many.

for me two or three is enough and a few pensioners to breed of for replacemnt ,i hunt alot always have and got twenty odd thousand acres of hill ground, to play with and maybe 2thousand acres of arable so you can mix and match ,i wouldnt keep two pups again done it last season ,no good , one dog an work her with her mother or father ,one well trained dog easier than two pups ,i want to enjoy a dog not be a chore , takes me a year or two to train them up for allround work ,i try and space my dogs every three years ,but if you keep a type then you need to breed to better the type you keep so it can be hard work ,

i think two for the hill land and one for the arable would suit me as the dogs i have can adjust to both , but it is a bit of work ,there nothing better than opening up a kennel and any one will do the job thats a good dog man and good stockman as they say

• Like 2

for me two or three is enough and a few pensioners to breed of for replacemnt ,i hunt alot always have and got twenty odd thousand acres of hill ground, to play with and maybe 2thousand acres of arable so you can mix and match ,i wouldnt keep two pups again done it last season ,no good , one dog an work her with her mother or father ,one well trained dog easier than two pups ,i want to enjoy a dog not be a chore , takes me a year or two to train them up for allround work ,i try and space my dogs every three years ,but if you keep a type then you need to breed to better the type you keep so it can be hard work , i think two for the hill land and one for the arable would suit me as the dogs i have can adjust to both , but it is a bit of work ,there nothing better than opening up a kennel and any one will do the job thats a good dog man and good stockman as they say

you're a lucky man

In what way?

well his house wont be getting trashed and he be able to keep both dogs and I also think if you have dogs living with you indoors they get to attached to you because you tend to give them more attention than you would a dog living outdoor and thats when you get the separation angsiety the only time to fuss over a dog is its play time and quite often some off these dogs dont get enough off it so what would you say the pro, s are off keeping dogs indoors

You've answered your own question really. More contact and attention builds a better bond. Nothing wrong with kenneling dogs if they're out with you most of the time exercised and stimulated but many aren't unfortunately. Plus I just like to have mine around me. It can cause a bit of domestic grief if you dont clean them up when you've been out though. Lol