Coursing "ammo"

IMO Id never bring one pup in, two pups rare themselves by playing and chasing picking up skills needed for later life, just my view, one pup has no company which for me is a negative thing

I also agree with this, however, what happens when the other pup has to go and they get seperated? It usually leaves the one left more lonely. As they grew up together?

I do agree though, 2 pups bring on each other well, of it can be managed. :thumbs:

• Like 1

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some people work there dogs around there lifestyle.   But for some there dogs are there lifestyles

I have 10 all together in my kennels 4 sheep dogs a lurcher 4 terriers and a gundog. If I could put as much time into my lurcher and terriers as my sheepdogs there wouldn't be much time left in the we

If I had a few thousand acres of prime permission I'd bring a couple on... But its hard enough ducking and diving to get enough runs for one dog...

I got 5 dogs in at mo and will b getting another in the future

The way I do things is to make sure that all dogs get the right amount

Of conditioning weather or not I have the time to work them

All

1 of mine is a terrier another1 has injury so I have 3 at mo that need

Work and condision but that said 1 is whippet so is easy to keep right

For lamp and mooching the other is a whippet x and then I have the

3/4 saluki

So the point is even if I had more coursing dogs to work and favoured

One over another I'd still see to it that the dog was getting work and

Conditioned ready

• Like 1

IMO Id never bring one pup in, two pups rare themselves by playing and chasing picking up skills needed for later life, just my view, one pup has no company which for me is a negative thing

yea that makes perfect sense to me, ive got a whippet grey type that i got as an adult and apparently he was a pet not allowed off lead before i took him on. And i can honestly say i dont think you could find a dog slower to bring on than this backwards cnut! Took a full season to stop trying to commit suicide by running into something every run. took longer than that to stop wildly overshooting every run. He's sort of got the hang of it now but most nights he just cant seem to get more than 1 or 2 stupid fence hitting rabbits in his mouth. Im convinced it's cos he missed out on the basic at the most important time.

• Like 1

That was my thinking/reason i got 2 this time and can see the pros in having 2 together and maybe if they were kennelled id keep.them both, but i have dogs in house with me an they come everywhere with me, even work. I can justbsee im going to end up with 2 half trained dogs that dont listen rather than 1 well trained dog

All

3/4 saluki

Conditioned ready

yea and i know you work full time so its good that you can keep them all fit. Mind you, you keep yourself fitter than half the dogs i know as well you dont mind a mission do ya! i know i must of lost a few pounds that night lol. But just say you didnt have the terrier and the rabbitting dogs, would you see the point in having a big pack of coursing dogs or would you think it'd make more sense to have one or two?

• Like 1

All

3/4 saluki

Conditioned ready

yea and i know you work full time so its good that you can keep them all fit. Mind you, you keep yourself fitter than half the dogs i know as well you dont mind a mission do ya! i know i must of lost a few pounds that night lol. But just say you didnt have the terrier and the rabbitting dogs, would you see the point in having a big pack of coursing dogs or would you think it'd make more sense to have one or two?
Haha was miles that nite mate

Tbh If I dint have the rabbiters and terria and was just into coursing I would have a good few probably 3 on

• Like 1

if you are seriously into coursing you need at least 2 running dogs as invariably one will pick up a few niggles in the season ,also its good stockman ship when dogs reach around 3 years old bring a pup in for bringing on so 18 months down the road if a dog is pensioned off you still have the two runners.

• Like 3

Maybe that's why I'm asking..... Since my dogs switched to daytime this season he ain't had anything that's kept him out of action touch wood. Maybe id have 2 myself if he spent half the season injured like he did when I was lamping him

It is all down to personal circumstances and preference as to how many dogs you keep , I have 4 on but I am retired now so time to do as I want to (just checking the wife isn't stood behind me ) the biggest problem is finding the running for them, I get out at least 3 times a week but still struggle to put runs in, I do about 3/400 miles a week, ideally 2 dogs would be enough for me now but as the ones I have now will probably be my last running dogs here, I will carry on with the 4. Injuries are part of the game but condition the dogs right and choose the type of land you run you can reduce the foot injuries especially it also helps if the runners have saluki feet which are not prone to as many injuries,

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 3

How many dogs do you have in your kennels for the one job?

I've got 1 and struggle to give him enough graft to get the very best out of him. Keep seeing coursing lads pictures of their pack or "ammo" and wonder how one man can work 5 or 6 dogs to even a fraction of their full potential. This topic aint me bitching at all, as im always tempted for something new hoping it'll make something special. But then i always think 'whats the point when i cant find time to get my 1 dog out twice a week'. Until i can do that i cant see how having another dog would benefit me, it'd just take away from the dog ive already got?

Id forget what everyone else is doing,if honesty ever played a part in whats in the kennel then the truth would make for many a liar with an ego.Its not about what you catch that makes for the main purpose in owning and working a lurcher,that should be secondary,its what keeps the owner content thats important.Yet the lads that take the time,put in the effort and make the sacrifices,are often the ones that are better rewarded.

• Like 1

That was my thinking/reason i got 2 this time and can see the pros in having 2 together and maybe if they were kennelled id keep.them both, but i have dogs in house with me an they come everywhere with me, even work. I can justbsee im going to end up with 2 half trained dogs that dont listen rather than 1 well trained dog

get them out the house and in a kennel youle be doing you and the dogs a favoure