How Big Are Your Hobs?

Picked up a couple of hobs yesterday off a lad who's given up ferreting, there quite big boys! Just wandering what size other peoples hobs are that they work? I've only ever worked Jill's which are much smaller in comparison! I know using purse nets with hobs can be a pain with them messing set nets up, but most of my ferreting is done using longnets so not to bothered, any pics would be good.

• Like 1

my hob you can only just get a collar round him but as you say in our area most of the work is done with longnets. if we do use him with purse nets it is a bit of pissing about but if they are there he will find them. how are you doing with mixy ? seems everywhere local at the moment

• Like 2

It's no just the nets big hobs can be a pain in the bum with if there too big and get a grip of a rabbit its a spade job every time as you might find out better run a file over the bottom of your spade mate it's easier digging when the spades sharp

• Like 5

my hob you can only just get a collar round him but as you say in our area most of the work is done with longnets. if we do use him with purse nets it is a bit of pissing about but if they are there he will find them. how are you doing with mixy ? seems everywhere local at the moment

one of my perms was virtually wiped out with mixy 2 years ago and has really struggled to recover any sort of numbers, another of my perms has quite good numbers and mixy hasn't been a problem.... The biggest problem there is the dog walkers calling you a murderer etc etc :-/ lol

Picked up a couple of hobs yesterday off a lad who's given up ferreting, there quite big boys! Just wandering what size other peoples hobs are that they work? I've only ever worked Jill's which are much smaller in comparison! I know using purse nets with hobs can be a pain with them messing set nets up, but most of my ferreting is done using longnets so not to bothered, any pics would be good.

That's my hob in my avatar, probably cant see the size of him from that but Id say hes slightly bigger than average. I love using him anywhere Im using longnets.

• Like 1

Bred a couple of hobs this year and there massive wasent expecting them to be so big as there mother is tiny and a brilliant worker father wasent that big either gave 1 away and lad has worked him haven't tried the 1 I kept yet for all the reasons mentioned above I only work Jill's so don't no why a kept him really but I will give him a bash my local perm was practically wiped out with mixy picked up a bit and it came back its still about cold weather hasent killed it off practically all rabbits gone.

Just looked at mine and he is about from the crease of my elbow to my finger tip and I can just get my thumb and middle finger around his ribs,I would say he is bigish especially now he is dressed in his cold weather gear!

I wouldn't be without hobs I prefer them to jills on most of my land. I don't see the fact that hobs can hold and kill rabbits to be a big problem but then most of the warrens on my land aren't to deep. I have a medium sized jill here that is expert at killing rabbits and If I had a ferret that never killed id say it wasn't keen enough to be doing the job.

The only 2 problems I see with hobs is they cant pass through purse nets without dragging them down and they aren't interested in working early or late in the season because their minds are on mating (castration could cure that).