To get a clean join with no marks to the bark of the shank I was given this tip. Put masking tape around the top of the shank, but before you do press the masking tape on your trousers to take away most of the tackiness of the tape and that stops the masking tape pulling bark of the shank when you take it off. It does work.

2012_1210walkingsticks0001.jpg

TC

• Like 3

It looks like the glue has failed also Kev.

What i do, is drill out the soft pith from the antler, right to the boney outer edge. I use electric insulating tape, and put some around the antler to keep the glue off. Mix some epoxy,- i find araldite best, and spread a thin layer of epoxy around the inside of the boney edge, and the rest of the araldite that i had mixed, i mix with horn filings or saw dust to a paste, and pack that into the hole. You can now either let that set , or you could push a wood dowel into it, and let it set fully. When set, drill into the center about 3 inches to take the metal bar. You must roughen up the bar. Let set fully. If your fitting a spacer, a threaded bar will allow you to use a nut and washer to screw up tight and push the spacer into a tight fit. When you remove the nut and washer, roughen up the rest of the threaded bar, about 4 inches long.

The shank is not so easy to explain,- but level off the top of the shank, put tape around it to protect it, and drill down 4 inches to take the bar,- now you should drill a very small hole, from the side of the shank to meet the bottom of the hole. This is an escape hole for the air when its being glued, and stops the shank bursting under pressure.

Now i use a sharp knife, and "cup" ( concave ) the top of the shank about 5mm deep, and not quite to the bark, stop about an eighth of an inch off.

Now glue the hand piece to the shank, use plenty of glue.

Now tie two lengths of tough string or i prefer nylon, to the top of the hand piece, and let them hang down about 18inches, and knot them at the bottom and tie them around the shank, so the two bits of string are hanging straight down. Now using a nail or pencil etc, put between the string and keep twisting, till it tightens, it must be tight, and to hold in place just put a bit tape around it. I do that down the back of the hand piece, and i do the same again down the front for equal pressure.

This will keep pulling the hand piece to a perfect tight fit to the shank. Its so simple.

I have made many many sticks, and have just made a antler stick for my brother this way, but did not take any photos,- but i will with the next one i do.

I regularly see two people who both got sticks off me at the same time about 30 years ago, and the sticks are as strong today as when they were made this way.

Leave to set fully

Edited by Gin
  • Like 2

ye the glue failed dave i only put a thin layer on the shank but normaly use a fair bit on and wipe off the rest also the bar bent but sorted all that out now

Feck you must have given the poor dog a fair whack.

TC

ye the glue failed dave i only put a thin layer on the shank but normaly use a fair bit on and wipe off the rest also the bar bent but sorted all that out now

Feck you must have given the poor dog a fair whack.

TC

i did mate a fair few time it was that or my pups get attacked and be shivering wrecks and i don't need that sort of dog so the rottie got it good and proper lol just making another now but the end is very heavy think if i hit a dog with this one it would do some serious damage i will get some pics up shortly

• Like 1