Pup Howling

I wouldn't be hose piping a pup of that age in this weather

true , why not bring it in just for few months ,let it settle with you+ dogs . feed it in the kennel say 3 times a day , and leave couple of beef bones in there as well. just build up from there 1/2 hour. 1 hour every day than back in house, by end of jan it should feel more happy going out side in kennel :yes: stick at it and keep cool , or you fook it up if you loose your temper , it wont be good for nought if its scared of you or water . ive learned the hard way ive got no patience at all and fooked dogs up loosing my cool, you got think of the big picture , not this little page of its life . :yes:

• Like 2

I've used hose in past, last resort though lol I kept the pup inside for a bit then put it out at a later date and made it worse as wanted to be in the house all the time then lol trial and error I suppose, what works for one won't for another. Horses for courses

yeh that can happen deff, but with time it will settle one its got routine . that's the prob with winter pups, because you can put the hose on them [BANNED TEXT] thee older (summer) but not in the winter, as once its wet it will cry more if its cold as well :yes: .

Congratulations!

One thing to add re hosepipe that I don't think was mentioned above...it's not so much a case of literally (and liberally) hosepiping a dog but rather giving it a sudden shock. I've used the hosepipe set up through the bars as others have suggested but I don't think I've ever got a dog wet more than once. They're too clever to stand in the spot where they got wet. It's just a sudden blast of water in their environment which suddenly stops them from barking. I've heard of people doing similar with a tin can full of nuts etc dropped on the floor i.e. sudden noise which takes their attention from what they were doing i.e. barking.

Reminds me of a quote from Willie Poole's "The Backwoodsman's Year" about his kelpie: "In theory, they bark when you tell them and stop when you say, "Quiet". But, as in so many things, theory does not always accord with practice. Sometimes you say, "Shut up!"; sometimes, "B***** well shut up!"; and sometimes, "SHUTUPFORF****SAKEYOUB*****REDAUSTRALIANB******!!!" I added the stars myself.

• Like 1