Variation For A Foxing Riffle

Mine would make a ragged one hole group @ 100 yards, and yes an inch @ 200 was achievable if I did my bit, but the fly in the ointment as always with the hornet is, it is a reloaders rifle, with the exception of Hornady 35gn vmax, factory ammo is crap, Winchester is not too bad mine would group an inch @ 100 yards with it, but the hornet needs to be reloaded for.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have to say I still get surprised with the knock Down power and accuracy of the .22-250

Out of curiosity, do you actually need to shoot out to 300 very often?   On the foxes I tend to find it is only the odd opportunist shot I have to take anything much past 200 yards, the vast majorit

A hornet is a bloody good fox round, mine (a cz 527) would group a ragged one hole group with homeloads, and that is the key to the hornet, however get yourself a .222 and you will have one of the mos

Posted Images

What rifle you buy is up to you and your budget, but at the hinge part of the post, the calibre, the .223 is a very good choice

and MOST IMPORTANT you can buy factory ammo (or reloading components) just about anywhere. This is not the case with

most of the others, unless you have access to a very large and well stocked gunshop (i.e. Sportsman Guncentre @ Exeter).

Not just available but available in varied bullet types and weights. So if you a practical type it's a no brainer, get a .223!

I actually have a 22.250 but I reload, and also own 2 other centrefires so reload lots of ammo, but I would have a .223 anyday

as a fox rifle, I've owned both calibres and to be honest there isn't a lot in it, maybe the '250 has a bit more flat trajectory range,

but I couldn't honestly claim more foxes because of this.

AndyF

the rifle will depend a lot on your land. I WOULD CHOOSE THE RIFLE TO FIT THE LAND.

if you are on land with smaller fields/lots of dead ground then a hornet or 222 is perfectly good for foxing. and cheaper to run and less noisy than the larger cals. especially If your shooting around the edge of farms where farmers live!

if you have larger fields with not so much dead ground a 22250 243 is a good choice along with 223 Ackley improved. 243 has great resale value and is really popular being universally deer legal.

saying that I shoot on a farm with 300-400 yard long fields and my 223 has enough power for the job.

if you reload the 223 you can easy get 53g bullets going at 3500fps out of it anyway and that's close to 22250 anyway but with less powder. your only talking 200fps difference if you care about barrel wear on your 22250.

223 is a powerful cartridge considering its a small cartridge. I would not like to be a 300 yard fox being shot with a 223. its got lots of power at that range.

sometimes it not so much about power but field craft.

The only reason I personally went for a .22-250 Is its flatness making range estimation at night not much of an issue. I zero at 200 yards and that gives me a 4" drop at 300 yards. Where as a .223 with similar bullet is nearly 6" drop. Just thought for me personally it was definitely the best choice

• Like 1

The only reason I personally went for a .22-250 Is its flatness making range estimation at night not much of an issue. I zero at 200 yards and that gives me a 4" drop at 300 yards. Where as a .223 with similar bullet is nearly 6" drop. Just thought for me personally it was definitely the best choice

Out of curiosity, do you actually need to shoot out to 300 very often?

On the foxes I tend to find it is only the odd opportunist shot I have to take anything much past 200 yards, the vast majority of mine are under 200, actually probably under 100!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2

What rifle you buy is up to you and your budget, but at the hinge part of the post, the calibre, the .223 is a very good choice

and MOST IMPORTANT you can buy factory ammo (or reloading components) just about anywhere. This is not the case with

most of the others, unless you have access to a very large and well stocked gunshop (i.e. Sportsman Guncentre @ Exeter).

Not just available but available in varied bullet types and weights. So if you a practical type it's a no brainer, get a .223!

I actually have a 22.250 but I reload, and also own 2 other centrefires so reload lots of ammo, but I would have a .223 anyday

as a fox rifle, I've owned both calibres and to be honest there isn't a lot in it, maybe the '250 has a bit more flat trajectory range,

but I couldn't honestly claim more foxes because of this.

AndyF

I am not quite sure what you mean by "most of the others"? As .22hornet, .222, .223. .220 swift, .22-250, all use a .224 calibre bullet, and as you quite rightly say are available, "just about anywhere" .243 factory ammunition, and reloading components are also very easily obtained, I have no experience of the .204, so cannot comment on availability of components for this particular calibre.

Out of curiosity, do you actually need to shoot out to 300 very often?

On the foxes I tend to find it is only the odd opportunist shot I have to take anything much past 200 yards, the vast majority of mine are under 200, actually probably under 100!

:thumbs:

Not at all often in fact I try my best not to take shots that far. But we all know how hard range estimation is at night and I am safe in the knowledge that if I aim at the top of the shoulder a fox within 300 yards will be down providing wind etc is in my favour. And I've found lamp shy foxes will sit out past 200 yards.

.222 I have two a tikka with night vision and a CZ with a Meopta on it for daytime long /lamp,never found the need for more,good out to 220 yards.

I also have a .243 that loaded with 58g is about the same as a 22-250 and never use it for foxing.

Reloading components wise.222 uses same powder and heads as the other c/f .22's,only thing that's different is the dies.

It all makes you laugh really because the police are so paranoid about .243 on clearing some land and yet will allow a smaller round such as .22-250 but with 55-58gr hornady, there's nothing to choose between .22-250, . 220 Swift and .243 in performance. Literally an inch or so in drop and maybe 100ft lbs at 300 yds or so, which is pretty insignificant when they're all making around 800ft lbs anyway at that distance.

• Like 1