If you're going to go wildfire, then do it right, .30-378 Weatherby for the light walk around and .577 Tyrannosaur for rabbits (twice the energy of the .505 ;) ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-378_Weatherby_Magnum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.577_Tyrannosaur

I reckon you could get the Weatherby under the radar of the FEO, if he didn't google it, for deer shooting as on the face of it it's a 30 calibre bullet. Not that I'm suggesting your try. Ammo costs would be horrendous and it would almost certainly pass through with every shot.

BTW, I said wildfire but it seems both the above are production cartridges, just very little known.

Just been picky but it's wildcat not wildfire.

Ohh and the connoisseur's choice would definitely be 408 cheytac for well everything really

• Like 2

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fixed that for you fella lol

The choice will probably be ultimately dictated by ammunition availability. Having owned both calibres i wouldn't hesitate in choosing the .204 imo far superior to the .223.   However, if you don't

Obviously a girlie calibre...........     .223 V-max, somewhere close to 200yards

Posted Images

No you're right to point out the deliberate error ;) , it should read Wildcat. :bye:

.408 CT looks interesting, but given that the British Army and AI have stuck with .338 Lapua Magnum, I'm guessing that overall there's something that prevents it being the ultimate sniper calibre. Either that, or maybe we'll be seeing a switch in the future.

Edited by Alsone

223 all day long, backed up with a 243

I didn't have you down as a fellow chav Hutchey! But it does say you live in Tenterden. LOL

Yeah buddy, I thought about the 222 but its it's only a reloaders choice

204 was an option but didn't float my boat

222 all day long, backed up with a 25-06

Fixed that for you fella lol
That 25-06 is a beast, especially your one Dan. Damn stock is like a log.

How's it going mate, still having fun down there.

You up for that 600 yarder yet?

Been a funny old year but all good really, job as always is driving me insane started to worry that I talk to myself to much even the dogs look at me funny lol

Always up for a challenge mate you need to get down somewhen if you can an have a go.

Hope your all good

223 all day long, backed up with a 243

I didn't have you down as a fellow chav Hutchey! But it does say you live in Tenterden. LOL

Yeah buddy, I thought about the 222 but its it's only a reloaders choice

204 was an option but didn't float my boat

Strange you should say .222 is a reloaders choice mate, round my way every shop has lots of .222 factory ammo, and the .222 is so inherently accurate, it is hard to find a round they dont like.

Most of my local RFD's dont stock much in 222. They all said that 223 is much more widely available and to go down the 222 route i'd have been best reloading.

Maybe its just that nor many round here have 222 but 22-250, 223, etc which determines stock levels at the stores.

Its just a pity its still a bit on the noisy side even with a sonic mod

• Like 1

Most of my local RFD's dont stock much in 222. They all said that 223 is much more widely available and to go down the 222 route i'd have been best reloading.

Maybe its just that nor many round here have 222 but 22-250, 223, etc which determines stock levels at the stores.

Its just a pity its still a bit on the noisy side even with a sonic mod

I would suggest the noise problem more than likely sit's with the sonic mod. :bad: I had one on my .223 and to be quite frank it was rubbish. I replaced it with an Ase Utra jet z cqb, different thing altogether. :yes:

All the gunshops round here have .222 ammo in abundance so no need to reload if you don't fancy it. There is also a good supply of .204 ammo and components for reloading, the parent cartridge of which is the .222 magnum of course. I probably have enough to keep running my two .204's for about 25 years without having to restock. :thumbs:

Edited by ianm
  • Like 1

Shot the .223 for many years .then shot the .204 ..i now have the .204 blows the .223 and the 22-250 away out to 600 yrds ...204 is better in the wind and is flater flying and on paper it states its better ,iv never had any runners no matter how big your foxs are....i have a hmr17 .204 and 25-06 and space on my ticket for a 22-250 that i was thinking about building for long range shooting.but not standed ammo 90grn bullets 1-8 twist etc

Edited by rob reynolds uk

Shot the .223 for many years .then shot the .204 ..i now have the .204 blows the .223 and the 22-250 away out to 600 yrds ...204 is better in the wind and is flater flying and on paper it states its better ,iv never had any runners no matter how big your foxs are....i have a hmr17 .204 and 25-06 and space on my ticket for a 22-250 that i was thinking about building for long range shooting.but not standed ammo 90grn bullets 1-8 twist etc

TBH your claims hold up for heavier ammo 40gr .204 vs 55gr .22-250 if you run it through gun data.

However, from memory several above were listing 32gr as the ammo of choice for the .204, and if you use the lighter ammo, then the energy is way less for the .204 at distance.

I would say therefore that the paper data suggests the splash issues some people have found are probably associated with the lighter ammo. Kind of hard without extended field testing or evidence from somewhere of bullets grains vs splash occurrence. Must admit though, the fact that it happens at all, doesn't inspire confidence in me, although .204 looks interesting on paper.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1