Bull Grey Cross Still Immature

Hi im not that experienced in this game I have a saluki whippet grey bitch who takes rabbits with ease aso have a bull grey x collie grey saluki whip dog pup who is 14 months old he behaves well recall good and retrieves but he hasnt caught a rabbit over runs them etc am I being impatient or to anyone who has experience when will he get better and start catching and will he stop over running rabbits also will he get faster? Or how can.I.iprove hes speed? Hes 27 at the shoulder thanks would be grateful.for replys

• Like 1

At 14 months old, a big dog of 27" will barely have finished growing his bones. The muscles are also immature at this age, and only once the skeleton has finished growing do the muscles start getting their real power. Young muscles can't hold the dog on the turns at speed. I doubt his shoulder blades are completely grown either, and if he's anything like the big male dogs I've had in the past he'll be all power at the back end and unable to control his speed or direction from the front. Just be patient and give him more time, but keep up with sensible exercise: not all fast work. Get some steady trotting into him too to help build up the muscles. Many big dogs aren't really able to control their bodies properly until they are 18 months old, but it also depends on his conformation: if he's very narrow at the front end ((width of chest) and deep in the rib, he may have more problems learning to turn tightly.

• Like 2