Question On A Barn Owl

rimfirelover1990

hi

i went round to a fellas house the other day to pick up some ammo and in his dinning room he had a big parrot cage with a barn owl in there surely thats not right but i could be wrong .

he said he flys her on a daily basis and she goes to work with him but he said due to not having a very big garden he has to keep her in that i must admit the cage was big and his garden was tiny

just want to know if this was ok to do so as i have only ever know for them to be kept in aviarys

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

if he fles it everyday then I cant see why he hasn't got it on a block, would be much safer for the bird and its feathers, but like already been said, if it can stretch its wings in any direction and not touch the sides then I guess theres nothing can be done even though I wouldn't like to see any bop in a bird cage

if he fles it everyday then I cant see why he hasn't got it on a block, would be much safer for the bird and its feathers, but like already been said, if it can stretch its wings in any direction and not touch the sides then I guess theres nothing can be done even though I wouldn't like to see any bop in a bird cage

Not too sure but if the bloke was flying his owl everyday for an hour or two this means the owl would be on the same block for the remaining 22-23 hours in a day, surely the owl would develop foot problems before too long?

Not too sure but if the bloke was flying his owl everyday for an hour or two this means the owl would be on the same block for the remaining 22-23 hours in a day, surely the owl would develop foot problems before too long?

no it probably wouldn't.... no different to sitting on the perch in the cage.

no it probably wouldn't.... no different to sitting on the perch in the cage.

I wouldn't chance either tbh bud, I'd prefer to incorporate several perching surfaces

That's not a cage mate it's a weathering 6ft high 5ft long 4ft wide that's well suitable,all it is he has a weathering in his house as his garden is to small what's the problem.its getting exercise and fed looked after properly.thats the only thing on this forum to many people to jump on something without reading it properly.at the end of the day he is saying cage which could be a big flight and by the sounds of it it is BIG enough for any barn owl.

• Like 3

Think it's the cage aspect bud, BOP, especially owls love their privacy and a cage is very unsuitable and can be damaging to feathers as bullet said. This is why Falconer's tend to keep BOP in an aviary that has one side as a cage with the rest a wood of some sort. Definitely far from the end of the world though, just not ideal bud.

I flown bop for a good few years my self mate and from what some people describe as a cage could also in a falconer a eyes mean a weathering.a cage is all made of wire as you no a weathering isn't but the issue was is it cruel.the answer to his question was no its not because of the size of the cage (weathering)and it is flown everyday but as for privacy he hasn't said if there is a box up a height inside for it to roost in.as I hear different things described everyday which isn't what it's supposed to be that's whey I've commented

• Like 1

I never free loft my bird when flying it, when ive flown for the day my bird goes on its high perch, with a bath next to it, at night I put it away on a bow till next morning, the only time its free lofted is when my season is over, are you saying this is wrong? the only time a bird will develop foot problems is by using the wrong perching material or perch, I hate seeing falcons on bows and hawks on blocks, but that's me Edited by bullet
  • Like 1

I never free loft my bird when flying it, when ive flown for the day my bird goes on its high perch, with a bath next to it, at night I put it away on a bow till next morning, the only time its free lofted is when my season is over, are you saying this is wrong? the only time a bird will develop foot problems is by using the wrong perching material or perch, I hate seeing falcons on bows and hawks on blocks, but that's me

Off topic......but have you ever tried a loop perch for your gos bullet?