Badger Sett

Hi all ,

Iv been ask to do a bit of ferreting by the farmer but went and had a look today and there is a badger set about 15ft from where the rabbits are?

Would they be connected ( rabbit set and badger set ) as I don't want my ferrets anywhere near a badger.

I know the badgers are home as I flattened the mub in front of one of the holes and when I went back there was paw prints..

So my question is would you risk it?? As I'm not sure I should risk it.

Thanks ?

its a strange one on my main perm ,every wood is almost complete rabbit holes & every wood has badger setts in them , i have ferreted 30yds away from any sett & rabbits bolt from the main holes ? they all connect around these woods ,even though i give them a wide berth & i have never had a problem up to now

• Like 1

It's ok until some anti sees you digging for your ferret next to a badger set with your dog nearby and suddenly you have a squeaky bum moment whilst you desperately try to convince the magistrate you weren't after the badgers.

If it's next to a badgers set the ferrets stay at home and the gun comes. Only 'safe' way to avoid grief IMHO

Edited by Nick3439

Ive had rabbits out of burrows with brock in them. The main problem is rabbits can jump straight over the bunnies in them big tubes, so sometimes they take a bit of shifting. I find the best bet if you think theres a good few rabbits in is to drop your ferts in, with out netting, keep the lurcher well back so whatever bolts goes into the easier burrows. ofcourse if the sett is on the permission boundary you can guarantee everything fecks off the wrong way..... oh and watch out who can see you messing around on a sett, plenty heroes want to get locked up!

at 15ft i should think they do join up. I've heard that setts can be suprisingly large!