Bad Burrows

Anybody do what I do when you go on a bit of ground there's always one burrow you dread doing and are a dam sight happier after it's been done ?

One permission it a dozen holes round a dog rose first time we ferreted it had a eight foot dig

Next one at a horse farm it ,s a burrow that goes seven foot under the corner of her stable block , same permission has a large concrete base that's been the floor of a shed I might give that a second thought putting ferrets in there

On a golf course it a burrow round a hollow tree you always get a for foot mark under the tree or can see the rabbit inside the tree and can't reach it LOL

The latest one is big sandy burrows the farmer said you won't ferret them you loose your ferrets I saw that as a challenge and even though they go off the box still gave them a go

• Like 2

Seen a few bad uns, I just leave them, one farm I was on had a tarmacadam road with occupied burys running underneath, there's always the chance they would bolt, but if you got stick ups, under a road, you are in bother.

same with a bury under a concrete building.

• Like 1

Me to joe. And I don't have many warrens where I cant dig, 2 out of my 3 stick until I dig to them assuming the rabbits still alive the other one will stick for a while not to long. The one that doesn't stick to long Im thinking about taking moonlight ferreting.

Me to joe. And I don't have many warrens where I cant dig, 2 out of my 3 stick until I dig to them assuming the rabbits still alive the other one will stick for a while not to long. The one that doesn't stick to long Im thinking about taking moonlight ferreting.

Every one to their own, but ive never been moonlight ferreting, and never will, but hey ho, maybe im missing something.

I have a warren infested with tick larvae. Everytime the ferrets go down they are crawling with literally 100's of them; you wouldnt believe. I hate doing that one.

I have a hob that's shit; but he's great for not digging. If they are going to bolt they bolt for him; if not it's like he doesn't know they are there and bimbles around and pops up. He's useful for that sole fact; he's more company for the Gill who's epic, tbh lol he'd be perfect for all these ^

I have some land that is used for sand, its good for building work, its not quarry sized, but it was first used when the local village built the first houses for land workers. Now it has a herd of mixed cattle on it in the Summer. And its a bitch some times, we all know about sandy burrows, deep, and to deep to dig. On the locator the ferrets go off the scale, so if you lose one, you have to go back every day until it pops back to the surface. It has to be done or the cattle trip in the tunnels when the collapse under the shear weight of the these fat cows. So I leave it until last. :laugh:

Seen a few bad uns, I just leave them, one farm I was on had a tarmacadam road with occupied burys running underneath, there's always the chance they would bolt, but if you got stick ups, under a road, you are in bother.

same with a bury under a concrete building.

bang on joe experience tells you, it is tempting mind when you see a few run in but yep stay clear like you say 9 times outta ten you end up in mither with them sort unless your really lucky and they bolt

I had the opposite yesterday, me and my ferreting partner spent the last two weeks clearing brambles and nettles from a huge warren (to me anyway) in a windbreak and yesterday was to be the big day to ferret it. We put 40+ nets down, in went the ferrets and we waited...... and waited..........and waited. Not a single rabbit did we see, even though the ferts went from top to bottom of it It could only happen to me.

I had the opposite yesterday, me and my ferreting partner spent the last two weeks clearing brambles and nettles from a huge warren (to me anyway) in a windbreak and yesterday was to be the big day to ferret it. We put 40+ nets down, in went the ferrets and we waited...... and waited..........and waited. Not a single rabbit did we see, even though the ferts went from top to bottom of it It could only happen to me.

Ive had the same thing happen in the past. Now I clear as little as possible just so I can thread some long nets through. I think when you do a big clearance the rabbits abandon the warren.

• Like 1