All Rounders

Just to add another dimension.....I, personally, would only class a dog as an allrounder if it could catch all the quarry I want during the daytime.

I have seen plenty of dogs that looked good on the lamp and yet were too slow for daytime work. Anyone got any thoughts on that? JD

• Like 8

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you're absolutely right Gaz, which is a surprise I thought you needed at least 40yrs under your belt to be right about anything on here.   I have a 3/8 5/8 bull grey from point and shoot li

Woah!!..I've lamped a ton, and still do buddy. I was only voicing an opinion, I wonder why my books get mentioned all the time i say something?   Scooby caught everything in the daytime, except red

Just to add another dimension.....I, personally, would only class a dog as an allrounder if it could catch all the quarry I want during the daytime. I have seen plenty of dogs that looked good on the

Posted Images

Every ones opinion of a allrounder is different is it just a dog that does what it's master says and refuses nothing ?

That's what moorside is trying to say I think.

But if he never asks his dogs to go ferreting or work to the gun and they do everything he asks and refuse nothing then can he call them all rounders? I don't think so.

But as said I could be wrong.

An all rounder what doesn't go ferreting or work the gun isn't an all rounder.

It would be like having a cheeseboard without the Stilton.

what would you class working to the gun mooching and retrieving ?

Flush to the gun at fairly close range without hunting up a mile in front.

Recognise when a shot is fired and find the shot game. And retrieve to hand.

it all sound fancy working to a gun when it's only hunting and retrieving really just putting up and fetching
  • Like 1

Just to add another dimension.....I, personally, would only class a dog as an allrounder if it could catch all the quarry I want during the daytime.

I have seen plenty of dogs that looked good on the lamp and yet were too slow for daytime work. Anyone got any thoughts on that? JD

yeh, a good line bred salukixgrey x bullx grey , something of this breeding should give good show on daytime hare, but still do a fox etc. + rabbits in the lamp, I saw one at a show similar bred and it looked very useful lurcher :yes:

Back before the ban my opinion on a alrounder is a dog that would work with the ferrets, work on the lamp catch the odd daytime hare ( night time too ) retrieve shot game birds ect even in water and if the chance came along deer too also a guard dog in the home and out when things got a bit hot ..an old type poachers dog if you like ...and work fox day and night also with the terriers .does a dog exist ? who knows the closest i have had would do all of the above not in big numbers but he did and was seen many times doing it .

Just when you think you might be close to having one some else adds something else lol is there such a dog?

Is there any need? Who does all these different types of hunting? Who has time?

i dont now but i had plenty of time when i was younger ...and yes did a bit of everything more of one thing than most but still managed a bit of this and that .

• Like 1

If anybody was lucky enough to own an all rounder you could only expect it to be an all rounder for a limited time. Let's say three or four years at the most. You couldn't expect a dog robust enough to lamp all night two or three times a week to also catch a daytime pre -ban hare when it's six or seven years old. A working dog of any sort doesn't reach its best until at least its second season ( more likely its third or fourth). All rounders, if they do exist ,are only at the full extent of their abilities for a relatively short period of time and only then if lady luck is on your side and your dog is by and large injury free.

• Like 4

Above everything else.......without the right man on the other end of the lead the lurcher will never become a true all-rounder....

putting a variety of game, and lots of it, in front of the dogs nose is the first step...it's not going to catch much sat in the kennel... :yes:

When you're in your twenties and mad-keen it still takes some doing, but when you get older it sure does get harder... :blink:

• Like 4

Above everything else.......without the right man on the other end of the lead the lurcher will never become a true all-rounder....

putting a variety of game, and lots of it, in front of the dogs nose is the first step...it's not going to catch much sat in the kennel... :yes:

When you're in your twenties and mad-keen it still takes some doing, but when you get older it sure does get harder... :blink:

I've got permission and gear I would have killed for when I was younger, but come a windy night I have to force myself out just to remind myself i'm still alive and kicking. Mind you, once I've made the effort to be out the old magic still returns.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 2

My dogs have to be able to do a variety of tasks as quite a few of my contracts want nothing left apart from song birds ... So ferreting lamping working with the gun including retrieving shot foxes and hares and tracking shot deer are a must ... They also have to be able to go ratting alongside a pack of terriers and behave themselves ... All this is obviously much easier for me as I do it for a living .........

Just to add another dimension.....I, personally, would only class a dog as an allrounder if it could catch all the quarry I want during the dayti

so the man that can only lamp can not have an alrounder I wonder why you would say something like that.stop trying to please everyone jd you lamped plenty and it never hurt the sale of your book scooby.some of us are onto you........your a fake.
  • Like 1

have you ever owned a dog that can do all the above ?.....and if so what was all the quarry you wished it to do ? All pre ban of course

Most important thing a dog can do is catch stuff :yes:,Day or night needs to be able to do it fair and square not bouncing things of hedges.

Anything a dog can do after that is a bonus.

• Like 1