Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla

Hi mate,

I was just wondering as to their working ability.

I know they are quite easily spoiled and have a soft temperament.

What sort of distance do they work from the handler?

My Brittany works to around 100 to 200 yards away from me depending on the conditions.

Do they have a a good/excellent nose?

How fast are they at working ie full speed gallop until they scent something or do they cover the ground at a slower pace?

Cheers pal.

You are right they are as soft as shite and they seem to take forever to grow up at two and a half when he isn't working he is a pratt. Very vocal dogs but when he is in a hide or on a peg he is silent unlike my old gsp who was a whiner.

Extremely easily trained he just lives to work and as my 24 year old son says "Dad that dog is a machine". As for range he works on the moor as far as the scent takes him last Sunday we were training on a grouse moor and he was easily a 100+ meters either side of me.

My dog works at an easy canter down to a fast trot I have seen a lot faster dogs who cover a lot of ground and bump birds and ive seen spinones who plod about but miss nothing. So a good steady pace wins the day for me.

At his age he isn't the finished article yet but we have been invited to grouse count on a couple of moors by people who know this breed and rate his work. My top accolade this season was from a very knowledgeable Labrador man who picks up on the moors and he said "That's a good dog ive been watching him all season" Which from a Labrador man means a lot.

He isn't an Angel by any means he can take the piss on the stop whistle and did show me up by rioting on a shoot over day (Training day ) but he was fresh off the moor and there were an awful lot of pheasant's. At the moment we are working on the stop whistle and directional blind retrieves with a mix of success but we will keep plodding on.

Rory Major an hpr trainer from Lincoln way says he rates the Brittany spaniels as the best hpr but they look like hard work to me.

I hope this helps its just one mans opinion of one dog

• Like 1