Wild Veg, Weeds, Plants, Seaweed etc...

Anyone tried anything like Nettle soup, Chickweed, Berries or whatever? a lad in the area told me tried one called Jack By The Hedge which was pretty tastey, I'm up for trying anything different if its not Poisenous.

Any pic's and cooking instructions would be handy :thumbs:....

Cheers

Jasper

Ive tried as much as i can of the wild plants round me over the years and the last two ive really gotten into it learning for myself medicines as well as foods too many to list.

some of my favourite plants are

Uncooked.

Garlic mustard[jack by the hedge]ramsons,chickweed,japanese knotweed,sorrel,reedmace hearts,horse radish,borage.pignuts.salad burnett,alexanders[buds],wall pennywort,dandelion,lime leaves,white clover.

cooked.

Comfrey,reedmace,burdock,alexanders,chickweed,dandelion,fennel,ground elder,meadowsweet,sow thistles,nettles,tansy,yarrow.

Its a work in progress and i try and use whatever is in season to add that home foraged touch to our food some are tasty but its how they compare to good old home grown veg not in the same league but i reckon its good to know what you can turn to if you need it. :thumbs:

I would have thought it would help to get it to rot down quickly Molly same as comfrey does plus its got to be good plenty of folks are into seaweed feed for their gardens to get away from the chemicals.

I cant wait to go on the road and sample some of the seaweeds theres one or two that sound well tasty :thumbs:

Edited by juckler123

Ok so along the lines of jack by the hedge you can also use trefoil garlic (look like white bluebells) the leaves are three sided hence trefoil. used it in cooking mussels once that we collected off one of the local beaches down here. Spring time trefoil garlic is everywhere get the wonderfull smell as you wander through it as well. Also used alexanders in the past as well (had loads growing where we used to live) found them a bit difficult to prepare but good none the less - bit like asparagus.