Phone Wires

got four wires sticking out the main phone wire kids have pulled the box off there is a orange wire a black wire and a white wire and green wire there is six little pin screws that these wires screw into numbered one to six does anyone know which wires go to which numbers ive looked on the net and the wires are not the same colours any ones help be much appreciated atb bh

The numbers on the socket you need are 2 & 5

Try orange and white but it depends on which colours the engineer used, on modern connections it's the blue and white.

You can't damage anything so you may just have to trial and error

I.e screw the Orange into 5 and touch each of the other wires in turn onto 2 until you get a dial tone

Repeat with the other wires till you find it.

Alternatively if you have a multi metre use this to find which pair give you 50v

• Like 1

Try orange and white but it depends on which colours the engineer used, on modern connections it's the blue and white.

I.e screw the Orange into 5 and touch each of the other wires in turn onto 2 until you get a dial tone

Alternatively if you have a multi metre use this to find which pair give you 50v

just done this mate kept the orange one in 5 and touched the others in turn on to two still no dialing tone cheers for the reply any way will have get bt out i think atb bh

just done this mate kept the orange one in 5 and touched the others in turn on to two still no dialing tone cheers for the reply any way will have get bt out i think atb bh

So try another colour in 5 and try all the rest onto terminal 2

Repeat each colour in 5 until you get your dial tone

Is it the main incoming line they have pulled out or is it a cable that goes to an extra socket that has been installed.

yes mate its the main line from outside they have pulled out of the junction box inside the house as it comes through the wall will try what seeker has said again atb bh

If its the main line it doesnt go into the numbered parts on the small first part that you take off the box. you need to remove the small part first then this will give you access to another two screws that remove the main part. On the back of this there will be two larger terminals. this is where your two incoming wires need to be connected. usually the green one and the orange one. The numbered terminals on the front piece are for when you install an extension to your existing phone point.