Australian Cattle Dog Or Kelpie X

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seen a few crosses work including 1/4 cross, I have always had first cross and the prey drive was greater in the more ACD percentage, water it down and you lose some of this, the first crosses took a

I have had ACD crosses for over 20 years, just lost my 13 yearold first cross this yea, the dog in the photos is a 6 yearold Grew x ACD, only small but I use her for bushing and ferreting, hardy dogs

I suspect my dog is second cross although not entirely sure, I believe he was bred out wild rovers way, thomas 87 mentioned temperament all I can say it is spot on,as good as anything I have owned, br

Posted Images

post-12550-0-99750100-1418714709.jpgpost-12550-0-79650200-1418714717.jpgpost-12550-0-95694100-1418714726.jpg

I have had ACD crosses for over 20 years, just lost my 13 yearold first cross this yea, the dog in the photos is a 6 yearold Grew x ACD, only small but I use her for bushing and ferreting, hardy dogs with great prey drive, no flying machines , fast enough to catch on the lamp great nose and do have protective streak.

• Like 5

attachicon.gif008.JPGattachicon.gif012.JPGattachicon.gif013.JPG

I have had ACD crosses for over 20 years, just lost my 13 yearold first cross this yea, the dog in the photos is a 6 yearold Grew x ACD, only small but I use her for bushing and ferreting, hardy dogs with great prey drive, no flying machines , fast enough to catch on the lamp great nose and do have protective streak.

nice dog ,always liked this x,liked phil dog speckle :thumbs: , but think if having this x a 1/4 acd x lurcher would be more of a alrounder for all quarry than straight 1x . you ever had 1/4 bred or seen any work ?

Seen a few crosses work including 1/4 cross, I have always had first cross and the prey drive was greater in the more ACD percentage, water it down and you lose some of this, the first crosses took all quarry pre ban, just not hare coursers and didnt possess top end speed, good daytime and good lampers sadly over the years the ones round here were mixed with Bull and not my cup of tea, my old dog was last in line.

post-12550-0-07014000-1418732611_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Seen a few crosses work including 1/4 cross, I have always had first cross and the prey drive was greater in the more ACD percentage, water it down and you lose some of this, the first crosses took all quarry pre ban, just not hare coursers and didnt possess top end speed, good daytime and good lampers sadly over the years the ones round here were mixed with Bull and not my cup of tea, my old dog was last in line.

attachicon.gif2003_0101hallsfarm0012.JPG

I love this dog its the perfect looking dog in my eyes. I would of give my toes for something of him
  • Like 1

I had a ACD x dog out of speckle so it was at least a quarter ACD and it was his prey drive that killed him as a young dog learning his trade. His prey drive was phenomenal, (not to sure if that really is a good thing now) perhaps he was a one off, as some of the litter were exceptional at what they done.

I think it's fair to say, ( a bit of a cleche I know) "You pays your money and you take your chances." That goes for any breed of lurcher.

TC

• Like 1

How do they fair compared to collie crosses with temprement wise

Although Collies and Australian Cattle Dogs are both herding breeds,.they have been created to perform different tasks..

Their temperament and overall mindset are also,. very different... :thumbs:

• Like 2

Can't really speak for the cad but have a Belgium cd and the main difference I have seen between hem and he farm collies I grew up with is the cd are tougher built designed to work the larger cattle and temperament wise they have greater guarding instinct as often they would be left with the cattle as a guard in times gone by. My dog is also very stubborn and certainly not as naturally easy to train as a collie, on a plus side she is more chilled out in nature than a collie and in her youth would naturally chase (not always what you wanted) and retrieve cheers

I suspect my dog is second cross although not entirely sure, I believe he was bred out wild rovers way, thomas 87 mentioned temperament all I can say it is spot on,as good as anything I have owned, brilliant with kids a real hit with the women,a good all round companion, wild rovers description of them,is spot on, I would say as mine gets older he is becoming more and more versatile, where as his prey drive before got in the way,and he made stupid mistakes,but testament to the dog he has learned from them,his speed is decent more than enough for rabbits,more so as he does use his head when running now, and he is something to see when he is stalking a rabbit in a hedge,

d6b39a09-48fe-4fb1-82ef-d63773adff03_zps

he still has huge amounts of prey drive but he engages his brain more now, he does however seem to have a lot more stamina than I expected he recovers very well /quickly from hard runs,his main strength for me is as a all rounder,/bushing dog his nose puts my lab to shame frequently,and he is becoming very disciplined around the gun,he likes to go ducking,not an avid water dog but will swim if he needs to,

• Like 4

I'd agree with what 3175darren's said about learning from mistakes although in my case it applies to kelpies. I've heard it said that it's only a mistake if you don't learn from it and, if that is the case, then dogs like these don't make mistakes.

I remember training my first kelpie about fifteen years ago and the difference between him and a previous collie x whippet was astronomical. They both lived to please but Rusty was so much more earnest. Every time he got something wrong you could see him thinking, "well that wasn't right: what do you mean then?" It's down to him that I came to realise (and realize) that every time he "didn't get it" it was simply because I'd failed to explain it properly. Dogs like him work with you rather than for you. His ten month old replacement is proving to be very similar.

• Like 1