Patterdale For Ferreting ??

Evening all,I'm looking at getting a pup for ferreting (for marking and pinning while netted),I've been offered a pat pip from a friend of mine and just wanted some opinions on weather or not I should take him. I've worked dogs before but only in South Africa for bush pig so I'm abit clueless when it comes to breeds etc.

I've been told that a pat will go to ground and that's not something I'm really looking for,his job would be marking buries and holding rabbits I can't get to quick enough. Is this too much to ask from this breed? Or is it all down to upbringing? He'll be 8 weeks on on the 20th of December.

Thank you in advance

ATB

Jono

I don't see why a patterdale wont do what you want it to do....... a mate of mine has two patts that he uses for ferreting, they bush and mark rabbits really well and also steady on a bury watching nets, good at the ratting game aswel,

a patt might have a tendency to drop in somewhere unexpectedly......, but that can happen to any working terrier worth its salt.......

as long as you know the ground that you are going to be working him on, you'll know where he can run free or not, if going to ground is your worry, i'd be thinking of staying away from terriers.......just my opinion.

all the best,

jay. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Not so much a worry really just would prefer if he didn't if that makes sense,but like you say,if I have him out from a young age hopefully he'll learn what's expected of him. I get what you are saying and will definitely take it on board. Thanks

I bought a pat just for that and bushing some places we do don't allow lurchers on but allow other dogs so that's why I got one its his first full season he's doing well marking and catching in the nets. When a pup allowed him round holes marking but when showed interest going to ground corrected him

As most lads said a small lurcher would be best. I take my Patterdale out ferreting sometimes and he is spot on and knows the job. The only thing I would say is you need to be more careful that there are no fox dens etc next to where you're ferreting.. had a couple of occasions where mine has picked up a scent and gone to ground when I haven't wanted him to, but that's part and parcel of owning a Patterdale.