Spewed It

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've a young dog on at the minute who's over two years old and is still piecing it together. Age is just a label, it's up to the owner to bring out what's in the terriers breeding. When did it become

With comments like that your everything I f***ing dispise about the terrier game, idiot !!!

In my opinion and my opinion only if a dog is given every chance in its first season and it doesn't end up working its a cull .You can dress it up all you like ,make excuses read the odd story about s

I know it is disagreed with by many but I agree with Neil Cooney. The phrase "a dog is only as good as its last dig" is a foolish phrase. The dog is as good as its overall performance throughout the years. If my dog does well for 8 seasons and in his tenth year of age throws in the towel, I am not going to say he was a cull. Just means he met the end of his working career and needs to be respected for what he did the rest of his life. Also, these dogs quitting in there 4th seasons and such or 4th year of age, whatever, says to me that something is off with the dog and you need to be looking into how to fix it... Maybe a health problem? Or you have worked the dog sore too much. Or the dog never really saw hard work and the first time it did, it threw in the towel. It makes little sense to me that a good dog would quit after several seasons.

• Like 4

I think a good dog 'spewing' is all about the dog's confidence. Seen it a couple of times now and both times with a lay off and a gentle easing back into the game the dogs were back doing what they did best. Fair enough a dog that is shite or very poor from the start I'd agree they are the 'culls'. But a dog that has had numerous digs and knows the game inside out, I find it very difficult to believe that the dog would just totally throw the towel in. Either the dogs failed in a big spot and not been dug successfully or has been worked sore who knows, but something has sickened it and building up that confidence is what will get it back on track IMO.

• Like 1

You can only hold a keen dog back,because it has the desire and pray drive to be held back in the first place, the dog that has spewed has never had that init to start with , but if it has been to ground and took to much pain as a youngster and then spewed then it might come back but normally if a dog hearts is not 100% in the job, you will never fully trust the dog and in the back of your mind there will be doubt! and if your only running one terrier that's not much good , if you cull the dog then it can never prove you wrong . But only the terrier man who's dog this can knows and should be able to read the dog and then make his own mind up as to what to do with it and stand by it .

• 4 weeks later...

Just my opinion but I wouldn't say this terrier has spewed it.

A terrier has to be working to spew it, this to me sounds like a terrier that hasn't switched on yet.

And maybe it never will.

One big secret IMO to entering terriers is to find a good blood line and stick with it. That way you'll know what to look for in pups that are coming on for entering.

Hence the reason the likes of Dillydog and Foxdropper can see promise in a sapling etc.

Ive had plenty of Wankers ! But a lad I know had one and he tried it at 18 months, no walked after 5 min a couple of times,rested and tried it again and again all season, but no good ! So gave it to his younger cousin for bushing rabbits, he hunted it all spring and summer and killed a few rabbits and rats with it! Dog was fit and well hunted so he was stuck for a dog and brought on the dog at the start of this season and the dog has been dug 4 times and is mixing well! So now he has to get a different terrier for the cousin! Dog was nearly 2 and 1/2 before it started right! Now I know that's a freak one and that dog could jack but a terrier is only as good as it's last dig!

Neil Cooney said only CLOWNS say, , the dog is only good as its last dig.
explain y? Neil cooney knows it all does he?

No one knows it all.

Last Tuesday two lads traveled down to me to see a dog working that I told them I was going to breed from.

I bred the dog (now nearly 7) but he belongs to another lad.

Last year this terrier on a 3 and a half hour dig did something I never knew a terrier could do and it was one of the best, if not thee best, digs I was ever on. Not because of the time to ground but because of what he did. We were lucky not to loose him that day.

When I seen him last Tuesday I was sick. The terrier hadn't been out in 4 months (I don't think he'd been walked in 4 months) and was as soft as butter.

Anyways, we took him to a large rangy place that's layered and has many junctions and tubes, both massive and tight. Depths are only from 3 to 5 feet but it's a place I've seen very good terriers have trouble in.

To cut a long story short the terrier made hard work of it and what ended up a messy 2 hour dig should have been a nice 1 hour dig. It wasn't all the terriers fault but he wasn't the impressive worker I wanted the boys to see.

It's reasons like this is why I hate the saying "a terrier's only as good as his last dig".

Mind you, I don't hear to many boys who know their stuff saying it.

Edited by neil cooney
  • Like 1

Ive had plenty of Wankers ! But a lad I know had one and he tried it at 18 months, no walked after 5 min a couple of times,rested and tried it again and again all season, but no good ! So gave it to his younger cousin for bushing rabbits, he hunted it all spring and summer and killed a few rabbits and rats with it! Dog was fit and well hunted so he was stuck for a dog and brought on the dog at the start of this season and the dog has been dug 4 times and is mixing well! So now he has to get a different terrier for the cousin! Dog was nearly 2 and 1/2 before it started right! Now I know that's a freak one and that dog could jack but a terrier is only as good as it's last dig!

Neil Cooney said only CLOWNS say, , the dog is only good as its last dig.
explain y? Neil cooney knows it all does he?

No one knows it all.

Last Tuesday two lads traveled down to me to see a dog working that I told them I was going to breed from.

I bred the dog (now nearly 7) but he belongs to another lad.

Last year this terrier on a 3 and a half hour dig did something I never knew a terrier could do and it was one of the best, if not thee best, digs I was ever on. Not because of the time to ground but because of what he did. We were lucky not to loose him that day.

When I seen him last Tuesday I was sick. The terrier hadn't been out in 4 months (I don't think he'd been walked in 4 months) and was as soft as butter.

Anyways, we took him to a large rangy place that's layered and has many junctions and tubes, both massive and tight. Depths are only from 3 to 5 feet but it's a place I've seen very good terriers have trouble in.

To cut a long story short the terrier made hard work of it and what ended up a messy 2 hour dig should have been a nice 1 hour dig. It wasn't all the terriers fault but he wasn't the impressive worker I wanted the boys to see.

It's reasons like this is why I hate the saying "a terrier's only as good as his last dig".

Mind you, I don't hear to many boys who know their stuff saying it.

Every hunt is different day after day a terrier will continue to impress you and put a smile on your face but the terrier will always meet one that will make you see red, dog done his job I'd still breed from him :thumbs:

Exactly, same goes for nearly every human fighter, there's a time frame that they perform at their best , their prime and the longer they fight after that well, it's only the very best undefeated get to retire, the rest end up with loses before long. But that doesn't change the fact that they were top class in their prime. Look at Ali he was by most seen as the greatest, but he was also defeated a few times. We'll the same goes for terriers

• Like 1