New Harris Hawk

legacy2013

Well, thought i was going to get a flyer from work yesterday but didnt happen so it was jump ups in the garden, hopefully getting a flyer today so fingers crossed, if not ive got the rest of the week of so it will happen, but just forcast strong winds, but hopefully todays the day!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/mikee1261/media/harris%20hawk/CAM00315_zps640e1385.jpg.html?filters[user]=138680493&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2   New harris hawk named lucky, got last

Forget the dummy if you can, get a carcass, and let her feed up on that, you MAY have to drop her weight slightly to get her going but get her our hunting asap, she wil come on leaps and bounds.

if she's flying instant and seems to be getting bored of creance training then like cc says try her on a dead carcass let her feed up on it then get her weight back down and get her hunting try get a

If the wind is anything like it is in the north east mate leave it till the weather changes and good luck, its always a worrying time when you set your bird free for the first time my heart always skips a beat even when im mentoring lads and lasses with there first bird,but it always turns out ok if the weight is right and most importantly the weather is good

Well today was the day, and i still have a harris!!!lol i decided to take her to a local wood that normally holds rabbits as the breeze was still quite strong, got into the wood and cast her up into a tree called her back and response was instant so of we went to find some rabbits, cast her up again and started bushing but before i new it she was of the branch and away, i just caught sight of a squirrel scurrying along the floor about 50 yards away, she was gaining and gaining, at this point a part of me was willing her to miss it incase of a bite and the other part i wanted her to for her first kill, it went past a tree as she looped round the other side, with held breath i watched her miss it by mm, back to the bushing... cast her up again and started bushing, after about 20 minutes of working through briars and rhodedendron a hare got upand of she went again, it just made it to really thick cover so she threw up into the air and landed in a tree, beat more of the wood but with her on my fist and nothing else but was extremely pleased for her first time, there waspheasants everywhere and could of had a few but she wouldnt even entertain them so some work needed on that, so just took her into the field and flw her back to me into the wind to work on some fitness and give her her rations, fingers crossed she will nail something tommorow, atb Mike

I wonder why people seem to have trouble on pheasants with some Harris hawks. My past two birds have always been more keen on feather.

Mine was keen enough, just not great at catching them! Lol......put quite a few away, but hit way more than he held.....

Well today was the day, and i still have a harris!!!lol i decided to take her to a local wood that normally holds rabbits as the breeze was still quite strong, got into the wood and cast her up into a tree called her back and response was instant so of we went to find some rabbits, cast her up again and started bushing but before i new it she was of the branch and away, i just caught sight of a squirrel scurrying along the floor about 50 yards away, she was gaining and gaining, at this point a part of me was willing her to miss it incase of a bite and the other part i wanted her to for her first kill, it went past a tree as she looped round the other side, with held breath i watched her miss it by mm, back to the bushing... cast her up again and started bushing, after about 20 minutes of working through briars and rhodedendron a hare got upand of she went again, it just made it to really thick cover so she threw up into the air and landed in a tree, beat more of the wood but with her on my fist and nothing else but was extremely pleased for her first time, there waspheasants everywhere and could of had a few but she wouldnt even entertain them so some work needed on that, so just took her into the field and flw her back to me into the wind to work on some fitness and give her her rations, fingers crossed she will nail something tommorow, atb Mike

Don't worry mate, my mates bird wouldn't even look at them in the first season & now prefers them to anything else!

Good luck with her future....

Well took her out again today, a weighing 2.2.6

Still not a bad response but not as instant, i cast her up into a tree and started bushing, a hen pheasant broke cover to flight and she set of after it but only half heartedly really i put this down to a slight rise in weight, that was our only chance today but tommorow the ferrets will be coming out so she wil have a better chance, but today she was following on beautifully and flying a bit more so her cobfidence on the wing was a bit better, fingers crossed for tommorow, atb Mike

• Like 1