New Harris Hawk

legacy2013

Yep agree find a good fence post or make one for training area. Can be a pain to lug about but see if the land owner will let you leave it somewhere. You won't mind her lying from the fence post but as above when flown from the bow she my start to try every time she sees you so when tethered in garden she we bait and bait towards you all the time. Also it would probable frustrat her trying to fly from the bow when tethered and frustration can lead to problems. Always analyse what you do and try to see what advantages it may bring. Then try to see the bigger picture and look at what problems it may cause. Easy to say but if you solve one problem then it's one problem less. Good luck with her, hope she turns out ok

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/mikee1261/media/harris%20hawk/CAM00315_zps640e1385.jpg.html?filters[user]=138680493&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2   New harris hawk named lucky, got last

Forget the dummy if you can, get a carcass, and let her feed up on that, you MAY have to drop her weight slightly to get her going but get her our hunting asap, she wil come on leaps and bounds.

if she's flying instant and seems to be getting bored of creance training then like cc says try her on a dead carcass let her feed up on it then get her weight back down and get her hunting try get a

Hi guys, when i said perch i meant, i am using a fence thats in the back field, i have been at work all day today but managed to get out with her when i got back and very much the same, i am keeping her at a steady weight of 2.2.6 and her response is instant every time, i cant help thinking shes getting bored of the creance, as somtimes she flyes straight then others she curves round to me changing it up a bit, i dont think shes to far of, cant wait to get her hunting as her foot powers absoloutely awsome, not had chance with dummy yet but gonna get that out tommorow, atb Mike

Hi guys, when i said perch i meant, i am using a fence thats in the back field, i have been at work all day today but managed to get out with her when i got back and very much the same, i am keeping her at a steady weight of 2.2.6 and her response is instant every time, i cant help thinking shes getting bored of the creance, as somtimes she flyes straight then others she curves round to me changing it up a bit, i dont think shes to far of, cant wait to get her hunting as her foot powers absoloutely awsome, not had chance with dummy yet but gonna get that out tommorow, atb Mike

if she's flying instant and seems to be getting bored of creance training then like cc says try her on a dead carcass let her feed up on it then get her weight back down and get her hunting try get a couple of decent bolts with a ferret.having a Harris hawk constantly on the creance getting bored will most likely end up with a noisy bird due to frustration........also make sure you have some telemetry on her. Atb bx

• Like 1

Hi guys, went out with her today, her weight had dropped slightly to 2.2.4 and her responsewas yet again instant, and even coming to the un garnished glove before id walked back the length of the creance, went out ladst night and caught a rabbit with the lurchers that i tried her on today and she hit it hard and really gripping it, i let her have a feed of it, so everything just semmed to fall into place, shes got to be ready as soon as i put her on the fence her heads down and shes wanting to come, its a if you can see her thinking, i believe the only thing holding her back now is me!! Tommorow i think is the day, so il let you no how i get on!! Atb Mike

from the soar I've lost mine and had to track her down on a kill three fields away. I was in a quarry at the time and didn't know where she had ended up. I'd never fly without telemetry, a pheasant can be spotted and flown a long way out of sight.

• Like 1

One thing i havent done with her is put her up into a high perch, will this matter when i free fly her for the first time or if she is at weight on the response is good will this be ok

i never castes mine in to a high perch whilst creance traing. I got her coming instant and when she started coming to me befor I could get back and turn round like yours is doing I new she was ready....get out the tem and get her a kill.....good luck for tommorow it's hard explain that feeling when the bird leaves your fist for its flight at its quarry and then makes a kill for a first time...... Plus when I started ferreting her she just jumped from my fist in to a branch hanging over the warren