After the rimmy

Im having some great fun with my rimmy, loads of sport and im enjoying it immensely, but already im looking at possibly getting a variation maybe next summer and purchasing a gun with greater range , but whats the norm to "upgrade" to? Is it a .17, a .22 centrefire , or a .223, or what. Ive had some fun with my mates .243 but thats in a different league for what i want. Which is rabbits, and the power to take a fox down if i needed to.

This wont be till next summer i wouldnt have thought, so ive got plenty of time to work out what i want but i would like some opinions from the experienced shooters. Thanks in advance.

i suspose it all depends on your budget, what quarry you will be controlling and what sort of ranges you expect to shoot to. me personally im looking for a 17HMR in the next couple of weeks just for the longer ranges than i get with my rimmy.

richie

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Trappa; Take it from one who knows ~ to his own immense cost! ~ Don't go for a bloody .22 Hornet!

Fine enough gun. Gives ye more than enough punch. But, by christ, the cost of ammo is just ridiculous!

.22 Magnum (which I'm aiming to step down to) is still plenty. But the ammo's cheap as chips. .222 /.223, I'm told, is also cheap to run. Far more gun than I need. But Anything must be better than a bloody Hornet!

I'm paying 48 Euro's for a box of fifty rounds. Convert that to £'s. Work out how much a shot. Shit yeself and choose another gun! :(

Guest JohnGalway

I'd have a seperate rifle for each job.

If your rabbits have become wary and are going out of .22lr range then swop it for a .17HMR, if not keep the .22lr (I'm presuming that's what you mean by rimmy). Rimfires can kill foxes but they're not the best for the job.

Now, for a fox gun I'd seriously consider either a .223 or a 22-250. Other options are the .17REM, .222, .220SWIFT.

Whatever you decide to get, apply for a moderator for one, they're LOUD.

Trappa; Take it from one who knows ~ to his own immense cost! ~ Don't go for a bloody .22 Hornet!

Fine enough gun. Gives ye more than enough punch. But, by christ, the cost of ammo is just ridiculous!

.22 Magnum (which I'm aiming to step down to) is still plenty. But the ammo's cheap as chips. .222 /.223, I'm told, is also cheap to run. Far more gun than I need. But Anything must be better than a bloody Hornet!

I'm paying 48 Euro's for a box of fifty rounds. Convert that to £'s. Work out how much a shot. Shit yeself and choose another gun! :(

Have you not considered reloading mate .Its not the rocket science you may think .

Guest Ditch_Shitter
Have you not considered reloading mate .Its not the rocket science you may think .

If Only, mate :(

Would ye believe home reloading is Illegal here?! :icon_eek:

Saying that; I've never discarded a spent case! (How am I supposed to bring myself to throw away Brass?! I'm genetically coded to value scrap metal :laugh: ) So, if anyone wants fifty to a hundred bloody Hornet casings? No problemmo!

Guest JohnGalway
the hornets out then!! cheers ditch!. Whats the range differences with a 22centrefire and a .17 rimfire, also is getting a 222 or a 223 mainly for rabbits getting a sledgehammer to crack walnuts?

Have to go out now, when I get back I can post up a couple of ammo makers websites. They have ballistics on there that'll let ya compare rounds and see what they can do.

Guest JohnGalway

I hope that this will be more helpful than confusing! It should give you more of an idea about the difference in power, speed and range of different rimfire and centrefire rounds and in some cases how they perform in the wind (usually a 10mph crosswind I think).

http://www.remington.com/Products/Ammunition/Ballistics/

Here is Remingtons site. There are three boxes down in the left hand corner which will allow you to compare their different types of centrefire ammo (only centrefire there I think).

http://www.federalcartridge.com/ballistics...earm=1&s1=1

This is Federals centrefire part of the site. Tick the boxes to compare 2 or more types of centrefire ammo.

http://www.federalcartridge.com/ballistics...earm=3&s1=1

Here is Federals rimfire part of the same site above.

http://www.eley.co.uk/hunting.htm

A bit on Eley rimfire, including the great Eley sub at the bottom!

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_session=d0...6e45f77a2b066c9

This is Hornady's site, you can see both rimfire and centrefire here by using the select box.

Edited by JohnGalway

trappa i think the .17hmr is the way to go for you if your mostly going to be shooting rabbits, and it will take fox with right shot placement anywhere inside 130 yards or so with head shots a little prone to windy days but time on the range will pay dividends, get yourself a rangefinder with the money you

save instead of buying a centrefire, and practice your drop tables, check out varmint al's web pages on the .17hmr great little gun. :thumbs:

That post makes a lot of sense snapshot. A friend has just got a .17 and he swears the rabbits fall before he has finished pulling the trigger! Hes just got it so i will ask him in a while for a comparison to it and the 22 semi-auto he has, but taking fox to 130 yards sounds perfect.

trappa, you'll love the .17hmr, but there is a crack even with a mod on. headshot's only as the bullet will not do the damage it needs on a body shot unless perfect and about the 100 yard mark, with practise you should get 1/2 inch groups with the right .17hmr, they do about 2600fps,

get yourself a good scope with a fine cross-hair and your elected,

check out. www.varmintal.net/17hmr.htm

knowing the distance is the key, so a second hand or new rangefinder is the way to go........ :thumbs: