Rooks Interested In Nests In Winter.

I was watching rooks inspecting their nests in a nearby rookery this morning. Through my glasses I could clearly see them rearranging twigs and cawing.

I've noticed them do this before. It seems as though they are inspecting/claiming nests all through the winter.

Does anybody know exactly what they are doing?

Anybody know of any books or studies written about rooks?

I seen the same the other day and put it down to the unseasonable weather.

Rooks use the same trees every year but some years they'll build higher than other years. Or lower in some cases.

The old wives tale of the sign of a good Spring is when the Rooks build high in the trees.

But I was surprised to see them standing in their nest's the other day.

Murder it was.

• Like 3

I saw a peacock butterfly today. The animals are all confused, what with all this heat and sunshine. We need the mercury to plummet and some hard frosts to greet us in the morning. I don't complain when theres -10 on the thermometer.....Though I must confess i feel very sorry for the snipe and water rails in those conditions...

• Like 1

This unseasonable weather is weird. Just had a nosy round my wildlife garden with a lamp. There's still newts and frogs moving about and I live in Scotland. Read the other day that in Cornwall the frogs have already spawned. Crazy.

• Like 1

This unseasonable weather is weird. Just had a nosy round my wildlife garden with a lamp. There's still newts and frogs moving about and I live in Scotland. Read the other day that in Cornwall the frogs have already spawned. Crazy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the mild spells are bringing animals out of hibernation.

There's a few Small Tortoiseshells around my house and you'll hear them fluttering against the windows on a sunny day and the other day I lifted a rock and there was a frog underneath it. I moved it to somewhere safer but the warmth of my hands soon had it full awake. Hope it's alright.

Edited by neil cooney