Ive always thought that hawthorn berries ( and most other red berries) were poisonous but a friend said that ray mears was eating them the other week. Anyone eat them on here and do you have to cook them before they are edible? Any easy recipes whilst there is still a few left on the bushes?

Yes, we eat them (including the children). We just pick them and eat them - there's not much on them, as the stones quite large, and they've a dry nutty taste. Many folk make health drinks out of them as they're good for your heart I think.

Zek.

ive had a stab at hawthorne and port jelly which was quite nice almost a smokey flavour. And i found a recipe for hawthorne brandy using the flowers and according to the book ive got the leaves are really nice in a salad in the spring too. A pal of mine used them when she couldnt find sloes for making sloe gin and it tasted really nice. Is it not called bread and cheese tree?

there ok but they make you sh#t

:clapper: everything makes you shit

i was looking for the way ray mears did the hawthorne cake ,i think he just squeezed them thru his fingers til he got all the stones and skins out and then left the stuff to harden ,he was eating some sliced cake that was 3 years old ,not sure if he did owt else thats about all i can remember about the program

i was looking for the way ray mears did the hawthorne cake ,i think he just squeezed them thru his fingers til he got all the stones and skins out and then left the stuff to harden ,he was eating some sliced cake that was 3 years old ,not sure if he did owt else thats about all i can remember about the program

He sliced it into thinish slabs, then dried it in the sun.

He sliced it into thinish slabs, then dried it in the sun.

did he do owt else tho or is that all there is to it ?