Holding Back

hello all my lurcher is nearly a year old ive been holding him back a bit ive been training him to do all the usual recall, retrieve a bit of jumping ive walked him in all the right places hes very keen. ive noticed people let there pups work from a younger age im just wondering am i doing any harm holding him back a bit its my first lurcher he took me a year to find and i dont want to f**k it up

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No dog was ever wasted by holding it back but plenty ruined by starting to soon..well done on being patient especially with your 1st lurcher..trust me you have done the right thing..after all would yo

Rio a couple of weeks back

i will never fit the dog in a pillowcase

Posted Images

No ever dog different my dog is 26 months and I ant done much with him learnt from my mistakes running dog to early and dishearten them let it be a pup doing little won't hurt you will no when your dog is ready no one else will what breed is he

• Like 1

Everyone different but I'd have hoped to have a few in the bag by 12month...don't need to run it's legs off but a bit of ferreting or a few carefully selected slips on the lamp won't do the pup any harm...it's not going to be outpaced with its breeding so it's down to you to find the right slips...good luck and atb sesku

• Like 2

post-86421-0-01989100-1416927736_thumb.jpg

No ever dog different my dog is 26 months and I ant done much with him learnt from my mistakes running dog to early and dishearten them let it be a pup doing little won't hurt you will no when your dog is ready no one else will what breed is hpost-86421-0-01989100-1416927736_thumb.jpge

thats what i dont want to disearten him his dam was a lurcher sire a whippet

Everyone different but I'd have hoped to have a few in the bag by 12month...don't need to run it's legs off but a bit of ferreting or a few carefully selected slips on the lamp won't do the pup any harm...it's not going to be outpaced with its breeding so it's down to you to find the right slips...good luck and atb sesku

ive let him have a few runs at night hes missed them im going to start doing a bit more

Looks a nice pup...just get him on the furthest out rabbit you can find...give him every chance even if he misses he'll get back on it...maybe get out with a experienced handler as well?

hes a good dog ive had some fun getting used too pulling my hair out at times but its worth it im not in a hurry to get him going and i dont know anyone else i got no friends lol

My take on it is that there's no rush, and in answer to your question - no, you're not doing the slightest bit of harm holding him back. But at half whippet he's probably just about ready to make a start on some easy squatters, but my advice would be not to overdo it. Good luck...

• Like 2

On the pic pup looks like it's wrist are not fully developed so just take your time and like you have said you got all the time in the world best of luck bud there's no right way to do it everyone as there own way of doing thing an you'll find your as said all best