Bitch Stopped Working

Iv just tried bringing her for a walk as soon as she gets to the front gate she runs back to the front door. I will give her a break for awile and try her. I wont get rid of her she came from an abusive home il give up hunting before i give up the dog

If she won't go through the gate then certainly won't work! If it came from a bad place likely something has frightened her so build up the confidence from scratch. Take into the front garden with a bit of food , repeat till she relaxes then gradually go further as she settles. Only when she's relaxed walking out should you think about working. Lots of short sessions rather than long ones stay relaxed and take as long as she needs, don't push it. Hopefully a week or so and you'll be making good progress and with a bit of luck may work in a couple but it will depend on her and you.

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldnt mess with a bloke that lived outside in a kennel lol

I don't know how much work she was getting before or how old she is but too much work can make them jack, I get on average about 5 or 6 seasons of hard work out of a lurcher before they either start p

Iv just tried bringing her for a walk as soon as she gets to the front gate she runs back to the front door. I will give her a break for awile and try her. I wont get rid of her she came from an abusi

Posted Images

I am committed im hunting since im 8 im nearly 35. I do everything right to keep her fit plenty of road work small runs in the park dont work her to hard i bring her to s mam who races greyhounds at least once a week to make sure shes not sore her diet is human grade meat from the supermarket . What would you call committed

Yeah I'd say that's pretty committed, but without knowing the exact background of your bitch, bad experiences, frights etc, it'd be difficult for anyone to give a half decent answer to your question. Anyway, no malice intended a t b :thumbs:

• Like 1

My pup went through a funny stage between 7 and 9 months. She stopped following me to the car. Wouldn't follow me up the drive as normal for a walk. Just sat in the house looking out of the open door.

I had to drag her or carry her to the car every day for 2 months. I stopped using the front door for a few days. For no reason other than my car was round the back. Then when we started using the front door again she ran to the car and jumped in the boot.

She's been fine ever since.

They are strange animals dogs.

• Like 1

id get a running dog vet to check dog out first.then go from thier,seems very odd,bringing dog in should not of done that.gone soft...ffs,does living in a kennel make you hard???

I wouldnt mess with a bloke that lived outside in a kennel lol

mike tyson lived in a kennel.
Exactly and if i caught mike tyson in bed with our lass a wouldnt be kickin him out either ad be tucking him
  • Like 1

Its a done deal it was having her in the house whats has her not working iv been watching her closely now i the problem i can work on the solution hopefully il keep you posted cheers for all the replys atb Peter

no offence but i havent known a dog that wouldnt work because it lived in doors i would rather be looking at other issues rather than were it lives

• 1 month later...

mine have come in and not changed abit

but however my whippet, will run home on a walk if to cold or if i take him lamping run the 1 rabbit then home

he would rather be moddycoddled with treats and a fire with the rest of the family, hes not a working dog never has been but i have taken him out but he does prefer comforts and will go home out of his choice because thats where hed rather be