Slip Lead Or Not

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Much easier and more of a pleasure if you can work the dog off the lead ........

I'm a midget and own a deerhound so I'm at a disadvantage

Lads it's not rocket science,,,just let the dog off the slip,,,,and try it,,,it's not majic.......

Is the lamp on continuos like? Lamp on quick scan, general direction with dog in vicinity, get to position, lamp on, quick hiss, dog knows it's game on and it's on? No?

That's exactly how I would imagine it to be in an ideal world. I'm just curious as to what happens when things don't go like clockwork, ie 2 rabbits seen, one a much better prospect than the other but dog takes off after the 'wrong' one. Or dog runs something that, for whatever reason, you don't really want it to run. Just flick the beam off? Or let things take their course?

The scenarios you have quoted very rarely happen mate ... The dog has no idea you are putting the lamp on and by the time you have flicked it on and had a quick scan around the dog hasn't had time to focus on the beam and home in on what you have seen ... Obviously the type of lamper that takes ages looking around a field will be more susceptible to what you are mentioning but on the whole as I stated the beam is on swept the field you have clocked what you need to and the dog is none the wiser ........

if a dogs well trained on the lamp,on a slip lead or not,surely it's going to have an idea that the lamp is on,where ever I put the lamp all my dogs heads are looking right down that beam.but as I say we all lamp different.some peoples dogs must be sniffing the floor or looking in other directions not to see a lamp on ..

Of course they see the lamp go on but if you have been lamping long enough you can scan a field and see what's there before the dog can focus on anything to chase .... Its simples really .......

Is the lamp on continuos like? Lamp on quick scan, general direction with dog in vicinity, get to position, lamp on, quick hiss, dog knows it's game on and it's on? No?

That's exactly how I would imagine it to be in an ideal world. I'm just curious as to what happens when things don't go like clockwork, ie 2 rabbits seen, one a much better prospect than the other but dog takes off after the 'wrong' one. Or dog runs something that, for whatever reason, you don't really want it to run. Just flick the beam off? Or let things take their course?

The scenarios you have quoted very rarely happen mate ... The dog has no idea you are putting the lamp on and by the time you have flicked it on and had a quick scan around the dog hasn't had time to focus on the beam and home in on what you have seen ... Obviously the type of lamper that takes ages looking around a field will be more susceptible to what you are mentioning but on the whole as I stated the beam is on swept the field you have clocked what you need to and the dog is none the wiser ........

if a dogs well trained on the lamp,on a slip lead or not,surely it's going to have an idea that the lamp is on,where ever I put the lamp all my dogs heads are looking right down that beam.but as I say we all lamp different.some peoples dogs must be sniffing the floor or looking in other directions not to see a lamp on ..

Of course they see the lamp go on but if you have been lamping long enough you can scan a field and see what's there before the dog can focus on anything to chase .... Its simples really .......

that depends on how big the fields are and how good youre lamp is its allrighr if youre on a little rabbit field
  • Like 1

It makes no difference ... If your in a massive field with a million candle power lamp you still only lamp out as far as your happy to slip the dog ... If you scan further out than your intending to slip all your doing is potentially spooking whatever you light up .......

• Like 4

Just in from a walkabout where I tried without a slip for the first time. Definitely much less hassle without a slip. But I don't think it was quite as productive. No way to be certain but there were a few runs where I think if I'd had the dog on a slip I could have got him into a better position. But I'll certainly persevere with it as it was a more enjoyable way to lamp.

• Like 2

since the first post on this topic i've been walking the dog off the lead to heel. 4 days and he's got it nailed. never tried before as its something i've never thought of before. his recall and obedience is good and he learns fast ( faster than me, he's a collie x). maybe i'll be lamping without a slip shortly

• Like 1

Fair play lads for giving it a bash both ways can be beneficial, you could always try both? Have a slip in pocket and if you think that you could benefit a run by putting on the slip then why not? :thumbs:

Good point Ross - sounds like the perfect compromise (for me, anyhow)

• Like 1

Fair play lads for giving it a bash both ways can be beneficial, you could always try both? Have a slip in pocket and if you think that you could benefit a run by putting on the slip then why not? :thumbs:

maybe use slack slip and some sort of verbal noise to tell the dog to go so its used to only going when told maybe :hmm: to start as well

• Like 1

Was a man here always had his dogs on leads while out at the bigears only problem was he use to plaster both his hands with vasiline he was deadly for letting a dog or dogs off when anorther mans dog was coursing a bigear it was always sorry they pulled out of leads he just loved coming home to tell folk his dogs kilt this or that lol

As the title says how many dog men use slip leads?

I do and alot of people I have been out with do but also been out with men who dont. I myself prefer the slip don't no why I just do I like to feel the dog pull before the slip

Part of bringing on a pup as far as training goes, is having it work off lead

I have no problem starting it on slip the reason for it is to make a pup believe that your proximity and command make the action happen

If walking beside and listening to your "watch up ' command when you spotted a bunny gets the pup focused , and then hissing it on when in range

The truth of the matter is a pup has no idea why any thing happens , it's just making it believe that standing beside you and listening to commands makes the rabbit appear,it will stand beside you all night

Stant a pup on its own , giving the same commands every time letting the pup put the pattern of commands and actions together in its mind to come up with the full picture itself,

This would be one of a pups training aspects more so then the much enforced Recall , its reinforcing that everything happens in close proximity to the owner