Slip Lead Or Not

As the title says how many dog men use slip leads?

I do and alot of people I have been out with do but also been out with men who dont. I myself prefer the slip don't no why I just do I like to feel the dog pull before the slip

:hmm:I think whether you have a lamping dog on a slip, or walking alongside you,.... free as a bird,.is like everything else in life,....it is a personal choice... :yes:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Much easier and more of a pleasure if you can work the dog off the lead ........

I'm a midget and own a deerhound so I'm at a disadvantage

Lads it's not rocket science,,,just let the dog off the slip,,,,and try it,,,it's not majic.......

i've always used a slip lead in the past, but planning to get my youngster going without.

To those that don't use one - d'you give the dog the command to run? Or does the dog decide for itself?

I start pups off on the slip,,,,and as there experience grows,,they kind of learn them selfs,,,,I do tend to give a comand,,I can't help myself,,,,but it's a kind of muffled hissed whisper if you know what I mean,,,and it's always the same two words day or night,,"git on"

When I'm lamping and I'm sure most lads are the same,,I quickly cast the lamp over the area and make a mental note of where the bunnys are,,,usually with an experienced dog,,,they know too,,,then pick out your target...

I think the important part of the dog training ,,,is the recal and walking at heel,,,I don't mean like one of these circus trained collies or poodles,,,but just walking near you,,,like they would on a walk where there's no game,,,just close by

Think everyone's command is the same!!! Imagine shouting...... "Abracadabra?!?"

As long as the dog is no more than 5-10 yards in front I'm happy with that, dog is always interested in the beam but unless I hiss them on or give lamp a wee shake then she's not expecting anything to be running. If that makes sense?

So what does she do if, as you scan the field, you light up a runner? Just take off automatically, or wait for you to hiss her on?

• Like 1

i've always used a slip lead in the past, but planning to get my youngster going without.

To those that don't use one - d'you give the dog the command to run? Or does the dog decide for itself?

I start pups off on the slip,,,,and as there experience grows,,they kind of learn them selfs,,,,I do tend to give a comand,,I can't help myself,,,,but it's a kind of muffled hissed whisper if you know what I mean,,,and it's always the same two words day or night,,"git on"

When I'm lamping and I'm sure most lads are the same,,I quickly cast the lamp over the area and make a mental note of where the bunnys are,,,usually with an experienced dog,,,they know too,,,then pick out your target...

I think the important part of the dog training ,,,is the recal and walking at heel,,,I don't mean like one of these circus trained collies or poodles,,,but just walking near you,,,like they would on a walk where there's no game,,,just close by

Think everyone's command is the same!!! Imagine shouting...... "Abracadabra?!?"

As long as the dog is no more than 5-10 yards in front I'm happy with that, dog is always interested in the beam but unless I hiss them on or give lamp a wee shake then she's not expecting anything to be running. If that makes sense?

So what does she do if, as you scan the field, you light up a runner? Just take off automatically, or wait for you to hiss her on?

To be fair I hiss her to get her attention as soon as I've got something on the beam....

Slip always for me,could control them on rabbits but dont just meet rabbits.

Plus and this is just my mind,I see a rabbit,I choose to run it, i slip dog runs,A dog that will wait till being told to run must be close to saying oh that ones close to the hedge im not running that one? :laugh:

With Tess she'll stay to heel as long as the rabbit doesn't start running. Have walked her pretty close to some squatters without her going before I've hissed. If it gets up and runs I'll hiss her on but to be fair she's usually already moving!!

Roo had very little heel training but I just got to trust him off the slip. He wasn't the type to walk right next to you but would stay fairly close.

Think this was one of the few vids I got of him before he died.