Slip Lead Or Not

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Much easier and more of a pleasure if you can work the dog off the lead ........

I'm a midget and own a deerhound so I'm at a disadvantage

Lads it's not rocket science,,,just let the dog off the slip,,,,and try it,,,it's not majic.......

I fancy getting my pup to work off the lead I have given my self to next year to do it. Bit of a challenge for me self. After hearing how well others train there dogs I hope to do the same my self. I guess the more control the more pleasurable the experience

As Others have said, when on your own off lead. When in company on a full lead till it's their turn to run, no slip leads just a full lead or off lead. Slip leads lead to accidents. (pun intended)

TC

Genuine question, why do slip leads lead to accidents ?

i've always used a slip lead in the past, but planning to get my youngster going without.

To those that don't use one - d'you give the dog the command to run? Or does the dog decide for itself?

I start pups off on the slip,,,,and as there experience grows,,they kind of learn them selfs,,,,I do tend to give a comand,,I can't help myself,,,,but it's a kind of muffled hissed whisper if you know what I mean,,,and it's always the same two words day or night,,"git on"

When I'm lamping and I'm sure most lads are the same,,I quickly cast the lamp over the area and make a mental note of where the bunnys are,,,usually with an experienced dog,,,they know too,,,then pick out your target...

I think the important part of the dog training ,,,is the recal and walking at heel,,,I don't mean like one of these circus trained collies or poodles,,,but just walking near you,,,like they would on a walk where there's no game,,,just close by