Quick Question

hi

i was in my local rfd the other day talking about shooting deer it does really matter to me as my largest centerfire is a .22.250 but i would like to know the correct answer .

he was telling me that i dont need a dsc1 to shot deer i just need the right cailber and for it to say all legal quarry on my certificate .

but however he told me i would need a dsc1 to sell it to anyone / game dealer

can any let me know if this correct

thanks

simon

Not necessarily - AOLQ or a specific variation for the quarry species together with landowner permission and the ground either being cleared for that caliber or unrestricted is needed together with appropriate expanding ammunition.

Re: selling venison, DSC 1 comes with a game hygiene certificate and 'Hunter ID' reference where you are assumed to have the ware-with-all to certify the game was healthy and free from notifiable diseases. You don't have to do a DSC to get this as separate courses exist. I think if you're not certified to inspect game the pluck has to accompany the carcus?

DSC has it's place but doesn't count for anything next to proper experience with a good mentor.

Edited by Yokel Matt
  • Like 3

You have a centre fire already but don't know caliber specifics regarding deer or understand certificate wording, sorry if this sounds a bit harsh and I know everyone has questions but this appears to me like closing the gate after the horse has bolted scenario.

i havent looked into stalking deer as its never really interested me. i am only interested in fox and rabbit thats the reason why i have a 22.250 and not a 243

as i live in england i can only shoot deer with a 243 excluding munti and chinese water deer as my fire arms officer has told me i can shoot these with the 22.250

so this is why i have come on here to ask the questions as i always thought you had to have a dsc1 to even shot a deer .

In Avon and Somerset they ask that you do a DSC1 before they will grant you a centrefire for deer, but that is police choice not home office regulation you should be able to have a caliber of rifle you have good reason to own, but stating this to your feo will just get you grief, that said if you don't know what you are doing going out with a mentor and even doing a course not necessarily a DSC1 can only benefit your own stalking experience, its not just about safe shooting with the right caliber when you grollach you need to know whether or not the animal is in good health and fit for consumption. atb Roy

i havent looked into stalking deer as its never really interested me. i am only interested in fox and rabbit thats the reason why i have a 22.250 and not a 243

as i live in england i can only shoot deer with a 243 excluding munti and chinese water deer as my fire arms officer has told me i can shoot these with the 22.250

so this is why i have come on here to ask the questions as i always thought you had to have a dsc1 to even shot a deer .

Does it say on your fac you can shoot CWD and mJ? The fact your FA officer said you "can" shoot them it has to be on your fac.

philluk no it doesnt but i didnt put it down when i put in for the 22.250 as im not looking to shoot them im only after charlie with that rifle i was just getting at the fact that i know you can shoot those two species with that caliber rifle

my FA officer was saying i can and if i said i wanted to he would of put it on there possibly i dont know i didnt ask i prefer rabbit and pigeon to eat to be honest everything i shoot going in my freezer wethier it goes in stew pot , to the snakes , or to the ferret welfare society

the main thing i was asking on this thread was weather u have to have a dsc1 ? which i now know there is other courses

and my other question was if it says all legal quarry on your license does that mean deer as well ?

i like to keep on the right side of the law so i just want to get the right information

thanks simon

Ok to answer your question no you don't need dSC to shoot, but your are supposed to have something equivalent to sell the deer to game dealers.

The Officer is right you can shoot them with that Calibre as in if you go through the procedure you can use that gun. But your fac must specify the words deer, it's not a question of a licence saying vermin and you think to cover your @rse you will have deer put on in case you ever decide to have a pop at a deer should you see one, also so your license must state you can use expanding ammo as law is you must use that type. As apposed to vermin where expanding ammo is not a legality.

Whilst you don't need DSC now, it's the easiest way to get the words on your ticket, failing that you need a mentor to say you are compitant. Deer shooting is similar in one way to fox shooting but needs far more home work and patience and over time skill.

It isn't something you can read a book about and do well, whilst even completing DSC isn't going to make you a good deer hunter that comes in time and experience. If you know someone who does it, ask to tag along and see it's not for everyone as you have hours and hours of slow walking, or sitting still for hours at a time.

Edited by Philluk