Are The Police Allowed ??????

would a 20 year old drink drive conviction stop you getting a licence?

Doubt it if that's the only conviction on record,

Can never say for definite without applying.

no I got a few more. not don't jail but I don't think I will waste my time applying. put it off for the last 5 years already that's how confident I am

My mate has a caution for trespass with a firearm; possession of a section 2 firearm without a licence and some obscure poaching offence all when he was 15. He's 25 now and got a SGC. Which he got last year (the cert not conviction) but in fairness they did look into the offences/caution and it was as he described a huge technicality as he was on the wrong side of a fence and the bloke he was with 'supervising' him was not and basically they looked at it for what it was.

Edited by Nick3439

would a 20 year old drink drive conviction stop you getting a licence?

Doubt it if that's the only conviction on record,

Can never say for definite without applying.

no I got a few more. not don't jail but I don't think I will waste my time applying. put it off for the last 5 years already that's how confident I am

Look if you have been a good lad for some time, and are basically regarded as a reformed character, then apply, just be totally honest, put down all your convictions, you might be pleasantly surprised :yes:

• Like 2

Normal speeding offenses will be ignored, however if its a ban for going too fast, dangerous driving, or drink/drugs driving they'll take your firearms licence off you.

Basically they claim that by getting done for the above, you're irresponsible.

This isnt supposition, its fact. Friend of mine got banned for doing 115Mph and they took his firearms licence off him.

BASC got involved but (Strathclyde) Police wouldn't budge.

That was 8 years ago and he still cant get his licence back.

Edited by fireblade_rrw

Normal speeding offenses will be ignored, however if its a ban for going too fast, dangerous driving, or drink/drugs driving they'll take your firearms licence off you.

Basically they claim that by getting done for the above, you're irresponsible.

This isnt supposition, its fact. Friend of mine got banned for doing 115Mph and they took his firearms licence off him.

BASC got involved but (Strathclyde) Police wouldn't budge.

That was 8 years ago and he still cant get his licence back.

It's crazy the difference! I was literally talking to someone today who got his SGC despite a conviction for Affray two years ago.... He got the BASC involved and they rolled straight over; basically BASC said to him; they just don't have the money to fight it; and when the law says you CANT have a shotgun certificate of you've been in prison for X time and if it's X time you can never ever even touch one; then the point becomes; "well any other time really the default should be I can" anyway; he got his on appeal he told me.

As cc and SS have suggested, there is probably more to this that offered here, and the police can revoke a certificate for anything they like under the heading not a suitable person, but what one region may consider worthy of revocation another may not.

They need a good case to revoke an existing certificate just the same!

• Like 1