Yukon Photon Xt 6.5 X 50

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Perhaps some of this might help mate .........   I carried out an exercise two or three weekends ago during the day to see if the Photon could be swapped between multiple rifles but still maintain z

got mine on my 223 and just need to zero it and then go test it

Worst thing I ever did was sell it to you lol, seriously that little hornet is a belting little rifle, no fox is safe out to 200 yards, glad you are enjoying her

Posted Images

Just a heads up on the photon 6.5 x 50 scopes, with the objective lens now being 50mm, if you remove the scope flip cap, the well known yukon doubler lens now screws directly into the front, so no doubler adaptor is needed and takes the scope up to neigh on 10x optical mag...a big plus point if anyone wants even more mag and it saves on the cost of an adaptor..

Image below shows with doubler fitted.

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/store/night-vision/yukon-photon-xt-6-5x50-night-vision-scope.html

image.jpg

image.jpg

Is there any info on reticule style? Is there any fine dot rets included, say for a .22 airrifle to measure distance by?

Stealthy there are mildot style reticules, with colour selection from red, green or white.

Is there any info on reticule style? Is there any fine dot rets included, say for a .22 airrifle to measure distance by?

Stealthy there are mildot style reticules, with colour selection from red, green or white.

Cheers Ian :thumbs:

Picked the last one up last night after A LOT of deliberation between that and the "Wardy Vision".

For those that want to know more about the direct comparison i found this:

There are new Pills for the T series torches coming out so should give a lot more oomph so bear this in mind when looking for NV icon_thumbup.gif

1) The Photon (6.5 power) in normal day mode (9pm so just still light) needed the cap removed to see anything. icon_thumbdown.gif
Not sure if this will be different in full daylight or whether it will need the pin hole in the cap bored out a bit wider as per what others have said before.

2) In the dark at normal magnification the Photon is really good. However, the onboard IR is probably only good enough for an absolute max of 100 yards! icon_thumbdown.gif
With the T50 on it though it is an entirely different beast and works very well out to what i think was about 200 yards. icon_thumbup.gif (unconfirmed measurement)

3) In the dark with the Yukon NVRS 1.7 lens screwed on (now leave the ring on that comes with it or you'll be showing about 2mm of thread) and the T50, this thing can pick out rabbits easily at circa 300 yards icon_clap.gif

4) I tried the N1000 IR Laser with it and didn't notice a lot of difference than the T50. Maybe a few extra yards but it was hard to tell as I don't know the ground we were on.

5) Wardy Vision is nice and thin, pretty light and has it's own DSA built in. icon_thumbup.gif It doesn't add much to my eye relief either so I still have a nice shooting position on the stock. (Although i may need lower mounts anyway)

6) Wardy Vision on my scope (8-32x50) with a T50 will easily get out to 300 on rabbits (maybe 350 is possible)
This was starting at the 8x and i got up to 16x before the loss of a tight beam of IR light started to make it unlikely to take a shot)

7) Wardy Vision on the 8-32x50 with the N1000 IR Laser still got me out to circa 350 on rabbits at 8x mag and then up to 16x mag before it ran out of IR Light.

8) On the subject of mounts, as the Wardy Vision has the DSA screw on the bottom, you may need to watch your clearance for the bolt coming back! icon_problem.gif

I opted for the photon with the Yukon Lens to take the mag to just over 11x.
If you are using only one rifle then this is most likely enough and will work well, however if you need to swap the scopes to another rifle then you'll probably be looking at some quick-detachable mounts and then just adjust the zero for the calibre being used once you know the numbers on the digital X and Y axis of the reticle.

I've yet to try this or hear of others that have already checked whether the POI changes from the 6.5 mag to the 11 mag icon_question.gif icon_question.gif

With the new T Pills arriving i reckon the distances will improve on those I've estimated.

I'm going to go and try it over the weekend and see what happens and how this then leaves me with a redundant rifle in my rimfire...................
It may be that i need to revert to either having 2 of these Photons or just go to the Wardy Vision.

Either i would be happy with from what my testing showed yesterday. icon_thumbup.gif icon_clap.gif

• Like 1

Hutchey

1. With the supplied cap push inwards the centre, it pops out and should give a 20-30mm aperture, helping with depth of field when focusing.

2. Like you say additional IR makes a huge difference, the onboard IR is grainy.

3. Agree 200yds-300yds easy with right IR, the eye display/sensor/resolution is not the very best available, compared to the £1500 region models...BUT its good still and works as should, the option of more optical magnification makes a huge difference, when shooting small targets or at range.

Here's my honest view on it.

For the money the photon is great, dedicated setup, light weight, the most easily mounted unit being in a standard scope tube form, so takes regular dovetail rings, you can attach extra IR with a figure of 8 torch mount which is simple and quick, batteries common AA type, and the ability to fit a doubler straight on, is very handy and more optical mag makes all the difference..

The downsides, with the unit being a front mounted NV, its more focus fussy than others, so needs more adjusting at different ranges... these help a lot when fitted, quite a few use them http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Breakaway-Black-Nylon-Coaster-Coasters-Clips-for-Boat-and-Shore-Sea-Fishing-Rods-/380979518889?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58b4261da9 , also depending on light conditions and IR you may need to close the flip cap (with centre pushed out)

When zeroing at a target close range, you can sometimes get total white out and not see it, pop the centre cap out of the flip cover and turn the IR down to the minimum on your torch, then adjust brightness down, it helps a lot.

Other than that, there excellent... I might fit one to my HMR at the weekend with doubler and get some footage, if I get chance..

The ward unit is meant to be good and versatile...but for £700, it is expensive and gives no better performance than any other E700 based unit...personally best value for money add on at the minute in my eyes although its not an eye display add on, it will give the exact same performance is someblokes add on, self contained batteries, built in IR T50 torch, high res monitor, quick release mount, single lead for £299... gives the same distance, ease of fitting, does away with a lot of wires, as it only has one and gives the same E700 performance as any other add on..although the monitor screen adds a little bulk to the setup.

I just fitted a photon xt 6.5x50 with doubler on the HMR, I haven't zeroed it yet, had to be back, but I got a little bit of footage of some rabbits with and without the doubler fitted, around 10pm tonight just gone dark, no IR used. I must be honest they are excellent with doubler and rock solid fitting, this will be getting left on the HMR now, for the money they are very good. I'll post some more footage at the weekend with IR and dropping some rabbits, the mag range, together with how light and low profile it is, makes it a winner. Like I say the only downside is there not great in daytime and they do need to be focused at different ranges more.. I'll add a bit of footage shortly, obviously the image will degrade due to compression bare in mind and I'm adjusting the focus quite a bit at times, when I didn't really need too..rabbits were 80yds away.

photon-6.5x50.jpg

2:44 Shows with no doubler

3:25 Shows with doubler

All prior footage is with doubler.