Lurcher

Has anyone got any advice,Iv got a lurcher roughly 3 weeks ago and he was running fine on the lamp de defiantly new his job then I took him out about 2 weeks ago and he was running a rabbit and hit a electric cattle fence and ever since he won't even look or run a rabbit on the lamp,he's perfect during the day.i don't no whether to give him more time and then try him again or wat.iv had lurchers for years and never had this trouble before.thanks

I think you'll have to give him time - he associates running a rabbit at night with an electric shock. He might get over it in time, but he might not. Electric fences are a nightmare - I hate the bloody things. My current lurcher got tangled up in one a few weeks after I got him and I had a hell of a job to get him out of it. He associated me with the pain and it took months for me to re-build his trust, and even longer before I could take him through the field where it happened. Good luck - you have my sympathies.

• Like 2

At a motocross once and my uncle's yorkie cocked his leg up on an electric fence it's tight but was one of the funniest things I ever saw he to the van and didn't come out for the rest of the day :)

You could try and take him say half hour to a an hour before the sun goes down, when it gets dark while the dogs busy get the lamp out, hope you sort it pal

Yep, its all about time and that would depend on the dogs make up and temprement. I had a good bitch years ago that leaped a hedge only to land on a leccy fence, it was set high and she was caught on it, breakdancing! On many farms the voltage is far more than it should be and by the time i got her off it she was burned in stripes underneath. Poor cow took a while to come round but she did in time. On the other side of the coin a big strong half cross i had came over to me one night, after a hard run, gob open, tongue hanging out. I was stood next to the fence and in his knackerd state turned right into the fence with his mouth, with the shock he bit down hard and recieved the full force of them volts. On there long enough to buck his big frame about i grabbed the fence and he let go. I'm getting shocked and hes spinning and whining. I let go and after calming down we carried on with the night as if nothing had happened.... Different dogs different ways...

personally, i would keep him off the lamp and keep him away from the particular field where it happened too. you could even try getting some of the electric fence wire or ribbon , whichever type he had the accident with, and tie a few strips in the garden to try to get him used to it. as the men said, time. good luck.

As said above, give him a while off from lamping (maybe even the rest of the winter if he's really bad). Start him again in a place where there are no electric fences to get him going properly again. When he's recovered his confidence you could try him near fences again, preferably switched off, and don't rush things. To begin with you'll probably find that he stops on rabbits that run under wires but give him time and he should get back to it. If he jumps on command it may help to get him jumping a low wire in the daytime too (not a live one of course).

I'm speaking from experience here. Where I live it's nearly impossible to find a farm that doesn't use shockwires and I've seen this in more than one dog. As Bosun said, it's different dogs different ways but even most bad cases are curable with a lot of time and patience.