Hares In The Morning

you cannot compare an organised coursing meeting like the waterloo with open land coursing to many variables , Just as coursing hares in some parts of the country is a totally different experience to other parts.. Personally when a quarry is running for its life it will get a move on young quarry has a lot to learn if they survive but that flight instinct is there from birth. Just as the pursuit instinct in a predator is they just have to hone and practice the skills they are born with.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 2

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That makes sense sir, also the fact that in many areas, especially lamped, hares will and do run just as fast as in the day, use the same tactics or whatever to escape and know exactly where they are

I stick my neck on the line..   I caught double figures hares on the lamp often - more than once a week..   A lot ran double up but single as well..   The same dogs would blank or be lucky to

think if anything running for its life its going to go the best it can being being it morning noon or night lol

Posted Images

your dead right Wirral a good hare is a test for any dog. however greyhounds will not tell any one if a hare is any good or not .the odd freek crops up but most greyhounds don't have the stamina to test a hare. good ore bad at any time of day. and double handed running does not test a dog either . you don't see any boxing ore any of the skills a good dog will posses. sorry if I have gone off post . atb two crows.

once took a lad lamping up on middleham gallops with his daytime hare dog it was well bred did the job in the day but that 3nights lamping it couldn't catch one lol so think they run different day/night and it ran 15 at least lad was gutted lol this was 20yr ago

• Like 1

A good hare is a test for any decent dog in the daytime no matter when, ask anyone that beat at the waterloo cup, those hare's were corralled into holding fields overnight and brought through steadily all morning into the coursing field to be run by national class greyhounds, I've stood on the bank and watched good dogs being made a fool of and with over 120 competitive runs catch only 6 or 7, the only times there would be more caught was when the fields were heavy and wet, conditions can play a big part in what's caught more so than when, WM

I,v seen 90 runs with only 3 Hares caught up around Thirsk [Yorkshire Coursing Club], also, a cleaver Hare will turn a dog into a strong wind too, i watched one do it yesterday but i,v seen it many times, pound for pound the best running machine on earth, and imo the only true test of a running dog in this over-regulated land of ours. :censored: .

• Like 2

I stick my neck on the line..

I caught double figures hares on the lamp often - more than once a week..

A lot ran double up but single as well..

The same dogs would blank or be lucky to catch the odd one daytime one on the same ground..

A lamped hare was easy - we made sure of that & stacked the odds in our favour..

I find it hard to believe daytimes dogs would struggle on the lamp.. For numbers maybe - I ain't seen many run but the ones i have had no problem at all..

I could see lamping dogs not getting one bend in on a daytime hare..

As for being full or not full, anything I have ever gutted day night or any time has had a belly full :thumbs:

Edited by Giro
  • Like 3

The same dogs would blank or be lucky to catch the odd one daytime one on the same ground..

A lamped hare was easy - we made sure of that & stacked the odds in our favour..

I find it hard to believe daytimes dogs would struggle on the lamp.. For numbers maybe - I ain't seen many run but the ones i have had no problem at all..

As for being full or not full, anything I have ever gutted day night or any time has had a belly full :thumbs:

agree 100% people just look for a excuse saying there just as hard at night lol

agree 100% people just look for a excuse saying there just as hard at night lol

Yeah, my dogs were all slow bags of shite lol. Funny mind, these same dogs caught plenty of daytime hares as well as lamped ones. I'll say it again, some areas lamped hares can be extremely dufficult to catch with any dog. And by the way, I never have and never will keep a slow dog :thumbs:

Some are harder than others granted and if they knew the score they never jumped in the bag..

Daytime is dog against hare - night time the lamper aids the dog or should do..

few variables to consider but personally at night they were significantly easier to put to bed :yes::yes:

Edited by Giro
  • Like 1

Some are harder than others granted and if they knew the score they never jumped in the bag..

Daytime is dog against hare - night time the lamper adds the dog or should do..

few variables to consider but personally at night they were significantly easier to put to bed :yes::yes:

Yeah, not saying they are as hard as daytime hares in general, but plenty of areas around the country on the lamp they can be extremely hard to catch. But as you've pointed out, there are certain variables to be taken into consideration :thumbs:

• Like 1