Hi all I have only just donated so unsure if moderators will delete this.

I used to use this site a few years ago when I shot alot but circumstances changed with work and shooting has taken a back seat for a while.

I now have a young son and through no fault of his own my jack russell is showing signs of jealousy, he hasn't done anything to cause harm yet but I'm not willing to take the risk so he has to go.

He's 7 years old has been castrated has a docked tail and dew claws removed.

When I shot he used to flush for me and he came beating for a few seasons but he hasn't done any work for around 3 years.he gets on well with other dogs but young children are a no in my eyes.

He has a brick built dog house that he lives in during milder months so he could potentially live outside

I'm located in Wiltshire

Please pm me for pics or further details

Thanks

I agree it could be a liability to someone else that's why I said no in my post to it going to a home with young children but why not try and re home first before putting it down?

because I wouldn't want it to be on my conscious simple as that , imagine walking it in the park and a little lad bends down to stroke it and it bites there face, there's always gonna be a time when they come into contact with kids . Nah mate no second chances when they show that jealous trait towards children.
  • Like 1

I agree it could be a liability to someone else that's why I said no in my post to it going to a home with young children but why not try and re home first before putting it down?

because I wouldn't want it to be on my conscious simple as that , imagine walking it in the park and a little lad bends down to stroke it and it bites there face, there's always gonna be a time when they come into contact with kids . Nah mate no second chances when they show that jealous trait towards children.
I see what you mean if there's only a small risk there's still a risk
  • Like 1

The dog is only showing signs of jealousy, it hasn't actually shown any aggression, correct?

Why on earth would it bite a kid over the park ?

if the dog has shown jealousy but hasn't actually bite the mans son then why is he getting ride of it ? The answer because he doesn't want to take a chance and doesn't trust it not to. Now if he doesn't trust it not to bite he's own child then why would he not trust to bite any kid ? Although that was just an example to show he could bump into kids anywhere . Would you have it around your kids ?

The dog is only showing signs of jealousy, it hasn't actually shown any aggression, correct?

Why on earth would it bite a kid over the park ?

That's true since our son has started walking the dog has nudged our son and deliberately got between me and my son but no teeth shown or any growling, I've now got the dog outside when our sons in the kitchen but my concern is the dog will become more jealous as he's being pushed out, and become a risk

Dogs always show signs of jealousy between any pack member, as you have just said you're pushing him out why wouldn't he become jealous.

I've always involved my dogs in the family, giving them no reason to be jealous. In fact I would make extra fuss of them so that they still feel wanted, not put in the yard when the boy's about, that will really feck him off.

It's always hard to pass comment in this situation, none of us know the dog, it could be proper nasty and then I would certainly take him out back to meet his maker.

• Like 2

Not nasty but but I've lost confidence after him nudging him etc, which then leads to him spending more time outside which like you say will wind him up more, he's still walked with us and the baby and still travels with us to see family but ultimately my son will spend more time with me and with me working away alot I have to prioritise my time